Series III lost all gears

reggie

My friends Series III diesel has lost all gears as he was driving along.

I got a knock on the door yesterday "the landy's broke down, can I have a tow" for once it wasn't me :o

He was just driving into the village when he said that there was a bang & then loss of all gears, when I went to give him a tow I tried it but nothing. There is a noise when you put it in gear & let out the clutch but hard to say what sort of noise as they are not exactly the quietest vehicles when running. I did manage to stall it in 4th gear somehow but tried it since & nothing, can't get any gears at all.

I've been underneath & had a quick look but nothing obvious like a broken prop, I was thinking maybe the clutch has gone.

What are the common failings on these vehicles?

i) Take the PTO cover off and check the output gear is ok on the mainshaft splines.

ii) While the PTO cover is off, worth pulling the gear out and seeing if the mainshaft can be moved, if so, the mainshaft bearings may have let go.

iii) ummmm...... drop the oils in the gearbox and transferbox and see if anything comes out! Just remembered the dog gear on the output shaft of the transfer box, the gear that goes back and forth to engage high or low ratio, has a very crude teeth arrangement that can wear with time and result in total failure. Engage low ratio and see if the vehicle moves.

Clutch-wise, if you can engage gears, I'd go away from clutch failure at this moment.

Before taking anything to bits.......

Check Hi-Lo & overdrive (if fitted) aren't in neutral.

If not, engage top gear, choc wheels, apply footbrake, disengage handbrake, start engine. If the propshaft is turning you have an axle problem, if not then it's gearbox or transfer box.

If the axle isn't turning declutch & engage 4wd. If it tries to move (or front axle turns with FWH disengaged) the gearbox is OK and transfer box (or more accurately 4WD unit) is stuffed.

If you get 4 th gear but not any other, you have broken the layshaft in the gearbox, unfortunately.

Daan

I wouldn't say that I get 4st gear, it was only when I was trying all the gears & letting out the clutch that it stalled in 4th, funny thing was I didn't feel anything like clutch bite. Normally when you stall an engine in gear you can feel it happen but this just stalled/cut out.

By that do you mean one is fitted but not working? If so did you check to see if has been knocked into neutral? This is a very common "fault."

I think so, let me go & ask him after I've had some lunch. He did say to me a while back that he got quoted a lot of cash to fit another overdrive so he didn't bother.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't say that I get 4st gear, it was only when I was trying all the gears & letting out the clutch that it stalled in 4th, funny thing was I didn't feel anything like clutch bite. Normally when you stall an engine in gear you can feel it happen but this just stalled/cut out.

So it did stall in 4th then?

4th is so high that it would just slow down and cut out instead of biting and jerking to a stop.

So if it did stall in 4th and nothing in any other gear, then layshaft for sure.

Try lowbox 4th it should pull away fine if it is the layshaft.

When I broke my mates V8 SI and my girlfriend broke my SI V8 I drove both home in 4th.

As the post is now quite old I imagine that you now know what it was?

Marc.

I haven't had a proper look at it since my first post as I've been so busy, I only managed two days in two weeks to look at my Rangie which has problem too :( As soon as I can spend some time on it I'll let people know what I find.

I vote with Jon. If it's not a "neutral" fault, then I bet the bang was a rear half shaft letting go. It once happened to me setting off from a traffic light in Kuala Lumpur. By then I was so familiar with the process that I just slapped down the yellow plunger and continued home in front wheel drive...

• 2 weeks later...

Well he got fed up waiting for me to get some time to look at it & got the garage out to come & take it away. Apparently they have looked at it & said it was a rear half shaft, I just wish he had been a little more patient, I could have saved him some cash.