lpg kit

rockatansky

Looking to get this lpg kit from the from here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25923

It states that it is for a 3.5 EFi but would it work for a 3.9 EFi?

The seller is the best person to ask, but almost certainly, yes. The only thing I can think of (bearing in mind I'm not an expert!) that would prevent it working would be an inability to flow enough gas, but that would just make it go lean at high revs, so would still be fine if you weren't going to rag it. I'm not aware of any kits that are suitable for a 3.5 but not a 3.9.

If the seller doesn't know, see if you can get some details of the kit and find out what capacity engines it was specced for by the manufacturer.

You'll need a new mixer ring, assuming you are running the stock Hotwire setup on the 3.9 -you can see the mixer ring as a rectangular plate in one of the pics.

You can pick them up quite cheaply (£30ish) even new, but you are also likely to need a new power valve that does not split the flow into two delivery points, as all the 3.9 mixer rings I have seen only use one.

That and a new length of hose from vapouriser to power valve to mixer ring.

Oh, and replace all the copper pipework at the same time -it's just not worth the danger of re-using unknown pipe.

HTH :)

You'll need a new mixer ring, assuming you are running the stock Hotwire setup on the 3.9 -you can see the mixer ring as a rectangular plate in one of the pics.

You can pick them up quite cheaply (£30ish) even new, but you are also likely to need a new power valve that does not split the flow into two delivery points, as all the 3.9 mixer rings I have seen only use one.

That and a new length of hose from vapouriser to power valve to mixer ring.

Oh, and replace all the copper pipework at the same time -it's just not worth the danger of re-using unknown pipe.

HTH :)

Yes you will need a new mixer ring as the 3.5 is different

The flow is not split on a 3.5 EFI only the carb version ;) The 'T' pieces are for the heater pipes.

You will not need a new vapouriser as they are rated in power output not engine size more likely than not 200bhp just need retuning for your engine ;)

I would agree to use new copper pipes as It is brittle and could fracture on fitting

Search tinleytech website for more info and prices for parts above

I would buy it at that price but it is miles from me :lol:

Steve

Oh and you might want to fit a airflow meter blowback protector, you will find them @ tinleytech.

more importantt on the 3.5 but might be worthwhile

Blowbacks don't seem to have any effect on hotwire airflow meters. They do blow the pipe between the meter and the plenum apart though - don't know whether a blowback protector would help with that. You shouldn't have a problem anyway as long as your ignition is in tip-top condition.

Looking to get this lpg kit from the from here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25923

It states that it is for a 3.5 EFi but would it work for a 3.9 EFi?

Erm I think the answer is NO... the mixer ring's are the same for 3.5 & 3.9. The problem is with the harness that tells the ECU that the injectors are still running fine when it's on LPG. It has it's own little ECU that send's a signal to the Lucas ECU saying that the injectors are working normally but are switched off when running LPG.

Jeff.

The flow is not split on a 3.5 EFI only the carb version ;)

Err, yes they are, look in the pic -they are split to keep the mixer ring/plate thin, so uses two small inlets instead of one big one...

You don't need injection emulators either -just use a couple of relays to switch the ground to the injectors off when on gas and it works fine -the Lucas ECU isn't that clever in hotwire or flapper form to understand that it's not firing the injectors properly so will carry on regardless. I think it's pin 11 and 14 on the Hotwire ECU that you need to switch, from memory, but I suspect I am wrong and you need to find out from the Haynes or RAVE if I am talking rubbish :P

There is no 'little ECU' in the emulators, they just switch the grounds for you in a convenient package, make installation easy and lighten your wallet.

Err, yes they are, look in the pic -they are split to keep the mixer ring/plate thin, so uses two small inlets instead of one big one...

OOOps I see it now. But there is only 1 pipe from the vapouriser so easily changed if needed, Both mine are a single line feed

I will stick with the blowback protector as it can blow the air filter, even more if K&N sponge type. Sometimes you will get a pop when running low on gas and mixure turns weak.

I will agree that no emulators are needed for either 3.5 or 3.9 as the ECU is basic. there is no self diagnosis system like on the later P38 systems.