Disco3 Clutch

dik56

As a relative newbie to modern landrovers, (the last one I drove regurlarly being a Series II 30 years ago) I bought a '05 Disco 3 back in January 2008, and during the warranty I had a gear box linkage failure, where the local LR Dealer (Stratstones of Swansea) also replaced my clutch, thrust bearing and fly wheel etc as it was still under warranty. (approx. August 08).

However after 4300 miles of poodling up and down tarmac roads, none of which being off road, and only 150 of which were used for towing a brand new horse box with a single small horse in it, the clutch has burnt out again whilst towing the horse box up a long climb, with no warning apart from the 1st gear starting to making a clunk when changing down about 2 days before the clutch totally failed.

When Stratstones replaced the clutch again, this time with me having to pay for everything despite the landy still being under warranty, I asked for all of the parts as I am unhappy about the previous repair, and can see that they are all LUK parts. (Chinese?)

The clutch drive plate has completely worn down to the metal rivets on the clutch housing, whilst being comparatively untouched on the fly wheel side. The metal has turned blue so there was excessive heat, but this may have been just at the last bits of life in the clutch.

There is some dust where the clutch has been burnt away but also large amount of fibres where it looks like the clutch lining has just disintegrated, or been ripped apart.

Reading on the forums I see various comments on the LUK plate having a excessive play on the shaft, and prone to failure, and also that Land rover have had various problems with the replacement Clutch kits recently.

The questions I want answered are:-

• Are LUK parts considered genuine FORD replacement parts?
  • Has anybody else suffered a similar total failure of a clutch with no warning?
  • Is this clutch failure a well known issue, as the dealership have pushed it back onto me saying it was "driver abuse", and that it's up to me to prove otherwise.
    (I have been driving 4x4 for the last 5 years, and have been on various courses with my work, so I am not completely ignorant on how to use a 4x4)
  • Am I able to complain to anyone, and get Land Rover interested in this issue?

I have attached some of the photos of the various bits of kit I was given after the 2nd replacement of the clutch.

Help anyone!

post-14610-1233338093_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338109_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338126_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338146_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338164_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338184_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338200_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338859_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338887_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233338929_thumb.jpg

post-14610-1233339013_thumb.jpg

I ruined a 130 clutch after a few hundred miles, my own fault after fitting a new master cylinder at the same time and not adjusting it properly.

I would think you have a good case for compensation as there must be an underlying issue that has ruined x2 clutched in the same way.

Get everything down in writing, Repair dates, mileages, What failed etc, who you spoke to, what they said. Stick to the facts, don't mention any other issues you may have with the vehicle or anything else.

Send it to the Dealer principal, by recorded delivery.

If they still refuse to help, take the matter up with LUK direct.

I wouldn't bother with Land Rover, Their customer service is appalling and will probably just refer you back to the dealer.

I'd think you'd have to be a pretty bad driver to do that to a clutch in 4300 miles.

How many miles had you covered on the old clutch before the G/box repair. Was the clutch replaced because you had told them it had been slipping, or did they just replace it as a matter of course as the box was out ?

Get everything down in writing, Repair dates, mileages, What failed etc, who you spoke to, what they said. Stick to the facts, don't mention any other issues you may have with the vehicle or anything else.

Send it to the Dealer principal, by recorded delivery.

If they still refuse to help, take the matter up with LUK direct.

I wouldn't bother with Land Rover, Their customer service is appalling and will probably just refer you back to the dealer.

I'd think you'd have to be a pretty bad driver to do that to a clutch in 4300 miles.

How many miles had you covered on the old clutch before the G/box repair. Was the clutch replaced because you had told them it had been slipping, or did they just replace it as a matter of course as the box was out ?

I bought the disco on 36k mileage , and did about 8.5k between January and August, THe clutch was giving no indication of slipping, and until the gear stick linkage went approaching a set of traffice lights I had no idea anything was up. When the car was being fixed for the linkage problem they had to open up the gearbox for some reason and they offered to change the clutch and other bits at the same time. Seemed strange to me at the time as I have had to fight hard to get the dealer to do anything under the warranty, but I didn't question it at the time,

I have tried to take it up with the dealer but they dn't want to know, and Landrover wont do anything til I have it indeprndently assessed. I've done this but the assessor says short of taking the car apart again he can't pin down exactly what was wrong, but feels that there could gave either have been a problem with the clutch plate bonding failing or possibly the master cylinder jamming.

Many thanks for the help

I bought the disco on 36k mileage , and did about 8.5k between January and August, THe clutch was giving no indication of slipping, and until the gear stick linkage went approaching a set of traffice lights I had no idea anything was up. When the car was being fixed for the linkage problem they had to open up the gearbox for some reason and they offered to change the clutch and other bits at the same time. Seemed strange to me at the time as I have had to fight hard to get the dealer to do anything under the warranty, but I didn't question it at the time,

I have tried to take it up with the dealer but they dn't want to know, and Landrover wont do anything til I have it indeprndently assessed. I've done this but the assessor says short of taking the car apart again he can't pin down exactly what was wrong, but feels that there could gave either have been a problem with the clutch plate bonding failing or possibly the master cylinder jamming.

Many thanks for the help

Ok, so let's look at the facts.

The original clutch was already 36k miles old when you got the vehicle.

You then did a further 8.5k problem free miles on it. Total 44.5k miles.

At the time they replaced it there were no signs, from a drivers point of view, of imminent failure.

So to suggest that your poor driving caused the new clutch to fail, to the point of destruction, in 4300 miles goes against the evidence of previous use.

It would be very easy for the dealer to submit a parts warranty claim on the new clutch in view of this. I wonder why they didn't, have you asked ?

When you say the dealer doesn't want to know, have you spoken/written to the dealer principal as opposed to the aftersales manager ? Also indicating you will be prepared to take legal action to have the issue sorted.

If you are sure you are getting the brush off from the highest level, and you have that in writing, then you should speak to LUK themselves. They should be prepared to inspect the clutch.

As i said, don't bother with Land Rover, your contract was with the dealer.

When the fibres seperate to make a birds nest inside the bellhousing it's usually down to failure of the construction of the friction material. The resin that bonds the fibres together was too weak/insufficient/some other reason. Good quality clutches usually wear out in the same way that prake pads/shoes do. On the other hand, cheapo clutches tend to break up into a fibrous mass once they start to fail. I fit more LUK clutches than any other make in non-L/R vehicles and they are usually good quality (fitted one in a Pug 106 yesterday). From your pictures I would say the clutch plate was poorly constructed for whatever reason. Still down to the dealer though - he fitted it and the mechanism for operating the clutch is still under warranty anyway, so either the mechanism for operating the clutch is faulty (under warranty), or the part was faulty (parts supplied and fitted under warranty). If you had given the clutch that much abuse to make it fail in such a short space of time, I would have expected the gearbox/drivetrain to also show signs of the abuse required to wear out the clutch.

Les.

You need to take the issue to dealer principle or, if they are part of a group, group director level. As has been said lay out the facts in writing and send it via recorded delivery. Give them a set time to respond otherwise you will be taking the matter up with Trading Standards and anyone else you can think of.

Dik - did anybody else drive your Disco?

One of my ex's wrecked a clutch on my car by managing to change into second at about 70mph or something like that.

On all the permanent 4x4's I have owned giving it loads of revs and dropping the clutch dragstrip style just smoulders the clutch.

A bit of ham fisted driving on a vehicle with that much torque could have caused some damage.

Its also worth noting that some car manufactures such as Subaru and Mitsubishi don`t warrant clutches even from new on certain cars!!!

That's probably because they see the way they're driven!

We had a problem with clutches for a Triumph Spitfire in the mid 70's. The garage we supplied to kept bringing them back with the driven plate in bits. Neither we nor they could understand what was happening.

After they had fitted the THIRD clutch to this particular car in as many months we finally found the problem. One of their mechanics had seen the young lady owner driving the car. All starts were build up the revs, drop the clutch, spin the wheels. An old clutch will slip a little & take the punishment. A new one wouldn't.

She was spoken to by the garage owner & told in no uncertain terms that any further clutch failures would have to be paid for. You may be surprised to know that there were NO further problems :rolleyes: