Egt Gauge

BogMonster

Tony,

Have you got details of the supplier(s) you got bits from for your exhaust gas temp gauge/sender?

As I am going to add a bigger intercooler to my 300Tdi in the not too distant future, I figured that this time I would do it "properly" which means fitting a gauge to the std engine and watching it for a bit before I twiddle with or fit anything.

If you could post details & maybe a couple of pictures it would be another good one for the tech archive I reckon :)

TIA

Stephen

I wanted to keep the original look, so opted for VDO gauges. They're silly expensive here but I got the EGT gauge & thermocouple kit from http://www.egauges.com for USD116, about 40% of the local cost.

P7170043Small.jpg

I reckon Ian's digital gauge might be the go if you want all the extra functions like stored max temp etc.

Actually thinking about it, it might be safer to get one from Ian, most USA based businesses are a bit hazy on their world geography and you'd present them with rather a challenge. :unsure:

Thanks guys

I was thinking White90 had a neat little digital gauge in his, something from LRE quite a while back, maybe this was a Thermoguard one? I was thinking TC got it in the UK somewhere but will wait his reply anyway.

You're right about US businesses "oh gee we'll send it FedEx" ... pause ... "where did you say you were again Fedex and TNT never heard of it" mind you we get that problem with UK businesses too :rolleyes:

egr4_24851999.jpg

egr1_24851997.jpg

egr2_24851995.jpg

pics not the best they are from the video camera.

Paul is correct mine came fom LEO109 he runs thermoguard.

it stores min/max etc and is very easy to fit but I did modify the thermocouple so it is right in the flow of exhuast gases

Ian will send them anywhere and if there's a prob he can send it here I'll post it on to you if you go for one.

Thanks Tony/everybody, I'll poke off an email to Ian to see about shipping (and find out at the same time if my credit card - which hasn't been working properly for two months :angry::angry::angry: has been fixed)

By the way TC one of the bolts has fallen out of yours :lol::ph34r: is that the EGR plate supplied by them or did you make your own? for about a tenner it hardly seems worth the bother I am thinking, especially if it is an odd thread, and it also means I have the old one to refit if I sell the vehicle

Thanks Tony/everybody, I'll poke off an email to Ian to see about shipping (and find out at the same time if my credit card - which hasn't been working properly for two months  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  has been fixed)

By the way TC one of the bolts has fallen out of yours  :lol:  :ph34r: is that the EGR plate supplied by them or did you make your own? for about a tenner it hardly seems worth the bother I am thinking, especially if it is an odd thread, and it also means I have the old one to refit if I sell the vehicle

Ian didn't take credit cards when I got mine, maybe he can sort a paypal account?

the plate...

I brought a new one then ruined it by tapping the hole wrong, so made one out of some 5mm plate.

I think Ian sells them already tapped etc.

Could you measure the display panel of yours please Tony, and let me know how big it is? I think I can fit it into the middle bit of my dash (mine has the 02> dash with the big centre panel) but just need to check - otherwise I'll have to order the pod to put it in as well.

Also what did you modify about the thermocouple?

Thanks

Could you measure the display panel of yours please Tony, and let me know how big it is? I think I can fit it into the middle bit of my dash (mine has the 02> dash with the big centre panel) but just need to check - otherwise I'll have to order the pod to put it in as well.

Also what did you modify about the thermocouple?

Thanks

70mm-34mm

the pic shows mine, Ian supplies them with the bend outside the plate

with this the readings were far lower

so I drilled ahole in a piece of timber and straightened the probe, pushed it through the fitting then re bent it using the timber.

the fitting has a few part is your take it apart look on the net for an exploded diagram.

I had to re do mine after I put it together wrong.

Stephen, I mounted mine in the box Ian can supply right in the middle on top of the dash where I can read it under the rim of the steering wheel.

The box is a standard instrument type box available from an electronics shop and is grey. I used some flat satin black vinyl spray paint and it exactly matches the L/R dash colour.

The thread is 1/4 BSP and I drilled and tapped it myself as I already have a tap, but if you don't have a tap, Ian's supplied plate is worthwile.

I have a picture here somewhere, and If I can get it scanned I'll post it in a couple of days.

I'm going to get the plate with it as I don't have a BSP tap handy.

Having measured the dash I think I will put it in under the radio in the centre dash assy, though I had vaguely earmarked that spot for air-locker switches at a later date... still time to think about it though. My 2m VHF microphone lives where White90's one is mounted so that's a no-go. The other place is maybe in that plastic box Ian supplies but stuck on to the 45* sloped bit on the bottom of the 02> centre dash panel, I think that would be out of the way as well.

Is the display brightness adjustable? It looks a bit lurid in the photos, seems to me it could be a bit irritating at night?

No answer from Ian yet maybe he is negotiating his way through the "help" line of a courier services as I asked him to check shipping costs :blink:

No, its ok, I'm going to get it anyway ... and I can always switch it off when not required, it'll mainly be for use before/after the intercooler upgrade and the odd occasions when I'm towing something heavy.

I got your e-mail by the way, thanks

an audible warning would be a nice feature

as mine hit 713 when I wasn't looking once  :o

So how did you know that then... :P:P:ph34r::lol::lol:

I refer the gentleman to my previous post above:

"Paul is correct mine came fom LEO109 he runs thermoguard.

it stores min/max etc and is very easy to fit but I did modify the thermocouple so it is right in the flow of exhuast gases"

I'm with TC in that it's fine at night and the brightness doesn't distract, although you wouldn't believe so when it's first installed.

You can't read it when there is direct sunlight on it, eg driving away from a setting or rising sun, otherwise it is very easy to read.