Got snow yet?

T1G UP

if it takes so long to do 5 or 7 mile journeys why dont people just walk! would let those that have much greater distances to do have more chance of doing it

hear hear! I remember over 15 years ago when father and I walked through 3 miles of 12" deep snow to get to school...amazingly..we got there no problems, but kids from less than 1/2 a mile away didnt get in.... :ph34r: I would walk the 2 miles to work in the morning, but its mostly down steep hills, and I'm struggling with stiff knees and astham. However, the wife is walking nearly 3 miles to work every day.

if it takes so long to do 5 or 7 mile journeys why dont people just walk! would let those that have much greater distances to do have more chance of doing it

I guess hindsight is 20/20 but once you have set out and are stuck in traffic walking is no longer an option - unless you abandon the car.

Chris

agree'd sure i heard on the radio that some one had taken 8 hours to get 2 an a half miles home why not park up and walk, also gets me that police say they had to resuce loadsa people if they hadnt closed the roads in the first place the traffic wouldnt be so bad in the other places, no matter how much snow we have we still have to go out delivering which does my head in when you hear people havin the day off mad.gif

2000 cars abandoned on the Basingstoke ringroad last night, 78 people delivered by police to emergency shelters. Police advises to avoid Basingstoke.

People left work at 13.00, 7 miles down the road, got home at 19.00. That was on main roads. Bit easier on the small country lanes - driving on the fresh snow was great :D

Now its getting colder and freezing - and the disco wont start - damm :angry:

Sorry, but I just have to ask why people are abandoning their cars on the road? Roads in Finland would be full of abandoned cars every winter... :D You need to have warm clothes, blanket, woolly cap and warm gloves and shoes. Enough fuel also and the you just wait. But honestly, I have never heard of abandoning a fully functional car. Yesterday it snowed so badly that I could only drive 10mph, the visibility was around 30 feet in total darkness. You couldn´t tell if you are driving on the road anymore before you could see one of the road shoulders. Didn´t enjoy that ride anymore, but got home safely.

Our problem here is that people are driving the same speed regardless of the road conditions and weather... and then they have to lower the speed limits, because individuals are not responsible of their own behavior anymore. Everything is governments fault and has to be government regulated. Government has to protect people from their own stupidity and ignorance. Aaargh... :blink:

Sorry, but I just have to ask why people are abandoning their cars on the road? Roads in Finland would be full of abandoned cars every winter... :D You need to have warm clothes, blanket, woolly cap and warm gloves and shoes. Enough fuel also and the you just wait. But honestly, I have never heard of abandoning a fully functional car. Yesterday it snowed so badly that I could only drive 10mph, the visibility was around 30 feet in total darkness. You couldn´t tell if you are driving on the road anymore before you could see one of the road shoulders. Didn´t enjoy that ride anymore, but got home safely.

The thing is that here in the UK we are not used to snow and do not have either the experience or the infrastructure to deal with it, unlike Finland where you can make a safe bet that it will be snowy for three months (or however long) each winter. I expect Finland would grind to a halt if it were constantly wet and/or windy and miserable for 11 1/2months of the year like in the UK. :(

Chris

Yes, I understand that. Our climate has recent years been identical with yours, except the cold from January to March. Raining, raining, raining, cold, cold. Last july we were in England and in Cornwall they told us that it has been like that in the recent summers. Quite cold and rainy. Got back to Finland and it was exactly the same. But Belgium, Nederlands and Germany was +30 and something as we drove thru them back home.

You have got quite a lot and quite often snow in recent years, glad you guys enjoy it! I like snow, but hate cold and darkness. Today we had only 5 hours of daylight... :( Depressing!

Now we have about 8" of snow here in southern Finland. About 3-4 feet in North!

Maybe you folks get to enjoy of a white Christmas there!

You guys all use snow tyres as well dont you? I think half the problems here demonstrated adequately yesterday are that out cars simply cant get up slight inclines because the tyres are incorrect for the weather. At least thats why cars were abandoned round my way.

Finally convinced my bro to fit proper winter tyres to his Ford Focus (he struggled to get to work and he is a v. good driver). To say he is impressed with the difference is an understatement. I used to live in southern Germany where winter tyres were the norm and without them you went nowhere! We have been out tonnight finding all the hard packed snowy backroads and even on the steepest hills you can stop and do a hill start without spinning and you have very near as much stopping power as on tarmac. I never believed the difference until i had a set for myself. My brother is also now converted. It is generally accepted that the silica/rubber compound is better than normal tyres at temperatures below 7 degree PLUS. If you keep a set of summer tyres and one of winter tyres then it really doesn't work out anymore expensive since each set lasts twice as long!

Finally convinced my bro to fit proper winter tyres to his Ford Focus (he struggled to get to work and he is a v. good driver). To say he is impressed with the difference is an understatement. I used to live in southern Germany where winter tyres were the norm and without them you went nowhere! We have been out tonnight finding all the hard packed snowy backroads and even on the steepest hills you can stop and do a hill start without spinning and you have very near as much stopping power as on tarmac. I never believed the difference until i had a set for myself. My brother is also now converted. It is generally accepted that the silica/rubber compound is better than normal tyres at temperatures below 7 degree PLUS. If you keep a set of summer tyres and one of winter tyres then it really doesn't work out anymore expensive since each set lasts twice as long!

Well said that man! I had a non studded winter tyre on the Volvo in the UK, you could get around in most UK conditions. Here in Sweden I have a studded winter tyre on the Volvo and AT's on the 110.

2008-12016.jpg

I think a big part of the problem in the UK (as well as unprepared drivers/vehicles) is traffic density, it only takes one muppet and then you're stuck in a queue.

You guys all use snow tyres as well dont you? I think half the problems here demonstrated adequately yesterday are that out cars simply cant get up slight inclines because the tyres are incorrect for the weather. At least thats why cars were abandoned round my way.

Yep! it´s mandatory to use winter tyres (at least M+S rated) from 1st of December to the last of March. People mostly use studded winter tyres, some use studless. My 110 CSW has GG AT M+S, but you have to be consious what you are doing when it´s slippery. My wife has studdlesses on her X-type AWD and studds on P38, Jag is too quiet of a car to ruin with stud rumble, and it behaves well also on studdless. Range is too heavy to drive without studs, and the noice comes in only slightly.

But when it really gets slippery, fresh snow and temperature around 0 degrees centigrade, the studs are the only ones to have any grip. Generally on the snow studdless are the best, because the rubber compound is softer than in any other tyre and also they are full of tiny lamells. M+S AT:s are poor and MT:s even worse because of the rubber hardness. Adequate in deep :lol: fresh snow though. The best method is definately the chains, unbelievable traction when off road. Not road legal in Finland, except in emergency, of course.

But what is really surprising, some of the summer tyres are very good on winter, but they have to be brand new to have soft rubber and enough texture.

And it´s snowing more, the forecast has promised snowfall for the next three days, and the worst stormlike snowblizzard is expected to hit southern Finland today, when the holiday traffic is on its´ peak. So sadly many accidents and deaths are to be ecpected today... :(

So everybody, be careful and safe out there, but have fun in the snow! :lol:

Needed studs in my tyre's today

Not snow here in the forest this morning but freezing rain..

diff lock and low range was the only way to slow the truck down. if you touch the brakes round you go :)

It was like people had magnets on there cars.. watched a few just slide into each other.. just up the road from where i am a lorry went into the front of the local pub was going there for lunch, but would be a bit cold sitting at the bar now.

In fact walking was just if not harder than driving.

be safe every one and Merry Christmas.

I think a big part of the problem in the UK (as well as unprepared drivers/vehicles) is traffic density, it only takes one muppet and then you're stuck in a queue.

Unfortunately we have a lot more than one muppet. Where ever you are in the Uk you come across impatient and selfish muppets who think they are above every one else and cause problems - an that it is in warm dry conditions. Add "unusual" conditions and they don't know what to do.

So it is no surprise to me that we grind to a halt. It's not just the infrastructure.

Martin

Here are a few pictures of the recent snow that we got here in South Eastern Sweden.

DSC_0564_2 (Small).jpg

Heres the 300Di Series 3 sporting it's (new) custom built 2" lift. The eagle eye will see that the winter tires are studded for the black ice conditions in these parts.

DSC_0567_2 (Small).jpg

Todd.

Met Office

Warnings for Hampshire, West Berkshire and Oxfordshire are particularly dramatic;

There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting parts of Southern England this evening and overnight. A period of exceptionally heavy snowfall is expected with accumulations of 15-30 cm and perhaps in excess of 40 cm. This is expected to cause widespread disruption to the transport network and could lead to problems with power supplies.

The public are advised to take extreme care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1135 Tue 5 Jan

Guess who's going to be earning 40p per mile again this evening?