Got snow yet?

T1G UP

It's all very depressing!

Horsham has it's own little micro-climate - there is no snow here and although Surrey (10 miles away) may get 40 cm, I'll bet that if we see any, it will be in the 1 to 5 cm range!

If it happens, I'll be out in a certain RWD electric freelander which based on the last snowfall can be both quite boring (in low power mode) and quite exciting (in High power mode) :o

Si

Similar story for me the other side of Crawley Si. Usually get less than anyone else.

Got the Defender out in any case, best to be prepared :D

landy any day you cant tow any one with a feista we pulled to 32tonne loaded artics out with a 90 that wear stuck on the hill cant do that with a feista now lol and dont need a hand brack to slide about just learn throttle contoll lol :lol::lol::P

were you the one pulling them out near four marks??

there were a couple stuck by manchester airport which i was going to go and help in my offroader....but i'm at home in my 309 gti (Cos my rangey is in bits) and couldn't even get off our driveway :lol:

G

I would say take the landy everytime, 4wd will always be better than 2wd in the snow and your tyres will definately have more chance of gripping when it matters compared to the standard road tyres of a fiesta, and when you do want to have some fun just put it in difflock. My mates always say to me that i cant do doughnuts in the snow becuase of where the handbrake is and i just say to them why would i need the handbrake when ive got 4wd and difflock? :)

Well I would take the landy out. I took mine out in the snow before christmas for the first time on anything but normal roads and found it to be excellent as long as you take it careful.

As someone else said once you start going it doesn't matter what you drive.

In High Wycombe we have loads of hills and to avoid sitting in gridlocked traffic for a few hours we took a chance and went down a reasonably steepish road, had it in low range and low gear and the 90 did not slide at all unlike some of the euroboxes dumped on the side

Take the 110, park it in a convenient ditch tongue.gif , then go back and get the fiesta. If you are not experienced in driving on snowy / icy roads, the public highway is not the place to learn. The tongue in cheek car park advice above is very sound, although with less doughnuts and hand brake turns!! laugh.gif

Yes the LR will have better (straight line) traction, but in all other departments it looses out.

I guess these are considered by many as 'Other Tips"

• If it is really icy, pull off in 2nd from a standstill, you get more traction.

• Use that engine to do some braking whilst going down hill.

• Let you tires down a bit, not much, but even afew psi will give you a little bit more traction / grip.

or fit those stupid looking caterpillar tracks

Oh yes, if you are the owner of a very nice Series 1 canvas top barrelling up the M66 this morning could I remind you that although you can probably go better then me in the snow, my car, and most others, has ABS and will stop better then you can so please stop tailgating.

:)

Well it wasn't me as mine is on the drive with the engine in bits awaiting parts, so the last thing I want is snow and cold weather. :(

Surely if there is no grip ABS won't help anyway?

But I agree with your sentiment though.

Marc.

I guess these are considered by many as 'Other Tips"

• If it is really icy, pull off in 2nd from a standstill, you get more traction.

• Use that engine to do some braking whilst going down hill.

• Let you tires down a bit, not much, but even afew psi will give you a little bit more traction / grip.

or fit those stupid looking caterpillar tracks

Good tips.

I would add that if you are losing traction going up or downhill, put your wheels in the side of the road on the grass or fresh snow. The shiny stuff in the wheel ruts is 100x slippier than the fresh stuff in the side. (mind the ditch obviously)

The other thing is drive slowly!. At low speeds there is not enough energy for things to get out of control to fast. And downhill is more dangerous than uphill!

And definitely have a go, I have a landy and an X5 and the X5 is completely embarrassing in the snow. Good at donuts though! Your landy will go anywhere.

I would just re-iterate the other advice here but I would also suggest: -

1. Go easy on the throttle and clutch in as high a gear as possible to limit the torque at the wheels to avoid spinning them.

2. Avoid the brakes like the plague, anticipate when you will need to slow down in advance and use engine braking as much as possible, (not a bad principle for every day driving too.)

3. Remember you are not immune from the laws of physics - even in a Landy.

4. Have fun. :D:D

It's all very depressing!

Horsham has it's own little micro-climate - there is no snow here and although Surrey (10 miles away) may get 40 cm, I'll bet that if we see any, it will be in the 1 to 5 cm range!

If it happens, I'll be out in a certain RWD electric freelander which based on the last snowfall can be both quite boring (in low power mode) and quite exciting (in High power mode) :o

Si

Looks like you're in luck Si, judging by the view from my window. The current tip is to get milk in as no supplies will be delivered for the forseeable. (In Horsham only Sainsburys petrol station seem to have any).

Oh yes, if you are the owner of a very nice Series 1 canvas top barrelling up the M66 this morning could I remind you that although you can probably go better then me in the snow, my car, and most others, has ABS and will stop better then you can so please stop tailgating.

:)

Not really true if you are driving in snow - ABS can be a positive disadvantage !!

The main thing that has helped me these last few weeks is the Traction Control on the p38 RR I'm using for commuting. It is particularly good at helping make the transition between icey and non-icey surfaces easier and safer.

On the other hand the ABS nearly caused us to have an accident on Christmas Day as it decided to not allow the brakes to do their job when approaching a junction at what was an appropriately slow speed for the conditions.

I had the same problem in a 2wd car with ABS some years ago.

A guy in our club has his Outlander's ABS come on this morning when he was braking in traffic and it resulted in him hitting the back of series Lightweight LR! Lightweight came off with pretty much no damage, same cannot be said for the Outlander.....

Don't ask me about the technicals but have a look here -

http://www.abs-education.org/faqs/faqindex.htm

particularly here -

In what circumstances might conventional brakes have an advantage over ABS?

There are some conditions where stopping distance may be shorter without ABS. For example, in cases where the road is covered with loose gravel or freshly fallen snow, the locked wheels of a non-ABS car build up a wedge of gravel or snow, which can contribute to a shortening of the braking distance.