Got snow yet?

T1G UP

^^^^^ about tires i've always woundered whats best in snow the "snow" tires i would have thought would have been rubbish in snow but good in the ice or compacted snow but simex jungles have been great on fresh and compacted snow even on ice the seem pritty grippy but suppose you wouldnt put muds on a normal car

We had a fair bit of snow here in Worcestershire & as usual my rangie is off the road when I need it most. Had to cancel two doctors appointments one for the little one because we couldn't get there in the Audi A4. We are in a village & the roads never get gritted, took the Audi out the other day scuffed a wheel & couldn't get it back on the drive without help :o So tempted to take my rangie out but no tax or mot :(

On the tyre theme - I was quite embarassed in my Ninety last night while out laning.

I run 255/86x16 BFG muds, and in general they have impressed me, they give good traction and grip in fresh deep snow, even on some of the fairly packed stuff.

However last night I came upon a track that got progressively steeper (and had a side incline), to the point where all three of us in the group had traction issues. Tried the normal rules for mud, back up and have another go with a bit more oomph. When this didn't work we started airing down tyres, as I tend to run mine pretty hard anyway(35F & 40R).

The lead vehicle, a hulking heavy 110, runs 285/75x16 General AT2s. For him the pressure trick worked (down to 20 PSI). The other Ninety on 235/86x16 BFG MTs scrabbled up, with the aid of a rear locker.

Me, well nothing was working for me last night, however much or little right foot was used :( A lengthy reversing session followed.

Other differences in our trucks? The others were Tdis, mine's a V8; Tdis are manual, V8's an auto.

Case for appropriate tyres was well and truly proven me thinks.

Polished icy surfaces are nothing like hard greasy mud it seems.

in wales in the van i had to keep a constant speed of 30-40mph to be able to get up the hills after having to reverse down three due to spinning out going up them sp kept a steady speed light on the foot an luckally got up the rest altho was a mer of a day

after asking the boss why were we out in this his answer is if you crash thats why we have insurance if you dont then we had done are job, one lad phoned in (the only person that did) an said he wasnt coming in, so the boss told him he would get someone else do his job. nice rolleyes.gif

On the tyre theme - I was quite embarassed in my Ninety last night while out laning.

When this didn't work we started airing down tyres, as I tend to run mine pretty hard anyway(35F & 40R).

Generally speaking this is the wrong thing to do in snow/icy conditions. "Airing up" would have been more appropriate. Increasing air pressure reduces contact patch area effectively concentrating the vertical load of the tyre into a smaller area, thereby increasing the chances of finding grip. However, on ice, nothing bar studded tyres works.

I've been playing up round the A3

yesterday my wife took the 110 to get to the stables but in 16" of snow and on a big down hill she had a off the resulted in sliding it 150m down and managed to ditch it into a bank but on the way back she slowed down for some people and following me in the disco which began to struggle and then in the same spot she was forced to stop and slid back down backwards and managed to ditch it again in the same spot luckily everyone was OK and the stuck was also fine but she drove with dropped tyre pressures after that but she is still a bit shaken.

other wise we have been having a great time out playing and still top trumps was towing a fully loaded artic 400-500m up hill backward with the 110 the driver was well happy as he could get back to his depot.

Got a bit here in Rutland, not enough to cause too much chaos, i'm really impressed with the BFG ATs.

Anyone see the BBC news with the New Holland tractor trying to 'right' a crashed merc sprinter with a chain on it's axle?

FFS

Today seemed dafter than yesterday, yesterday the vast majority of drivers stayed at home,

today the roads were no better - in some places worse, ice packed and road impassible

stranded cars with bewildered drivers (WHY Bewildered that that are stuck ???) and idiots generally

post-22-126290147917_thumb.jpg

As the "Main roads" seemed full or morons sliding about in a prattee stylee I took to the minor roads,

one said road closed, so I guessed I would have the road to myself, oh how wrong,

I forgot about Norman Munceworthy who in his MINI can easily cope with anything of course.

Drive was as follows :

Take turning away from the syncronised drivers spinning and fishtailing all over the roads,

onto nice quite "Closed" road,..... find tre branch hanging down :)

post-22-1262901353_thumb.jpg

Ah, thats why its closed I thought........

1 MILE further into it, I wanted to turn right.....

post-22-126290155309_thumb.jpg

So I did :D, and yes the bonnet of abandoned car was warm :huh: ....

and so I progressed, right up to where I came out of the 'Closed' bit, to find

A MINI ....... :blink:

post-22-126290283641_thumb.jpg

With his wheel doing about 10,000 rpm and the car doing 0 MPH I waited

then he saw me and got out .....beckoning me to him in what I saw as an arrogant way

I'm stuck he said.

Yes, I can see that

I need help

Yes you do

He was wearing a shirt, chinos and SANDALS with socks

Have you got a Thick jumper and or coat / boots / wellies ?

er...No

Have you got a spade or shovel ?

er...No

Why not ?, why have you even started out with nothing, and try to drive into a road

marked as closed with a F Mini, don't you listen to the guidance on the TV ?

er, No

Why not FFS ?

Because I know people like you will be along to pull me out right ?

"Wrong"

I said, got back in and drove off, he just stood there - plank - I did feel a tad guilty :ph34r:

Into another road closed ahead,... he must have got through there,.... then I saw a old lady with a bag

I stopped and asked if she would like a lift, helped her in, only about a mile down the road,

then she said the classic of the period of weather I have heard so far when I helped her out

Thankyou young man (FFS... YOUNG :) ) I'm very gratefull, so kind to stop, my neighbour wouldn't stop

earlier to take me up to the shops when he set out today

Oh I said, ....what does he drive ?

A red mini she said,

When I left her I wondered if she'd make it up her path she was laughing so hard :rofl:

and then the roads cleared a tad as I neared work

post-22-126290201057_thumb.jpg post-22-126290203628_thumb.jpg

Wonder if he is still there :ph34r:

Nige

Classic Nige. What a tool. I see he's left 6" of snow on his roof ready to fall onto the screen when he brakes after a while :rolleyes:

I had some fun today in the car park at work. The neighbouring farmer kindly ploughed it partially for us, which left some very deep piles/drifts. It would have been very rude to not try and drive through them...

post-10578-126290254849_thumb.jpg

so the mini was driving with not only loads of snow on his roof but also about 70% of this windscreen covered and the bit thats not still looks iced over good for you leaving him if he got out he might have hit someone with his lack of knowledge and lack of being able to see :unsure:

I've been out in my Volvo (fwd) since Tuesday. I can't say I've had any issues. Getting the car out of the parking space has involved some digging, but once on the roads there has not been a problem.

I wonder if driving instructors ought to include lessons on a skidpan, or at least some theory on driving on slippery surfaces. I have witnessed cars going down hills sideways, speedos indicating nearly 40 mph with a stationary vehicle, and generally muppetness.

I have to say I have also witnessed 4x4 drivers with the 'I've got a 4x4 therefore I'm brilliant' attitude. Once such pillock nearly rammed me whilst I was waiting for a Ford Ka to come to rest at the bottom of a hill (sideways, brakes on), and then sat there flashing his lights in an attempt to make me move.

What he didn't count on was my car being full of navy engineers, who then exited the car and had a little 'chat' with the driver.

I was also pleased to see said pillock go sideways down the same hill, despite his amazing 4x4 (a very shiny toyota hi-lux btw), which I had just successfully navigated in my 2wd volvo.

I have now however, purchased propshaft nuts and bolts so I can finally bolt on the front propshaft to the SIII.