Axle swap

fred

Hello there. I have just bought a 110 defender from work. Got it really cheap as it has a ruined back axle. (diff nose cone bearing housing damaged beyond repair) What I want to know is what axles can I replace it with, and how big a job is it. My brother has a discovery which he is breaking, would the axle fit? His is a J reg, and the Defender is an L reg. Also, are all the ratios the same, as someone told me that if I put the wrong ratio rear axle in, I will cause untold damage due to the front and rear axles trying to turnat different speeds. Is this right? I like to think I am a competent spanner man, and I have most of the necessary tools and equipment. I just need some clear guidance as to what axle to look for, how to check if it is serviceable, how to tell if it is the right ratio and what are the main problems I might encouter, if any.

Thanks, Fred

I wouldn't faff about rebuilding a salisbury, find a good used one and bolt it in - expect to pay ~£100 ish for a drum braked one or ~£200 for a disc braked one, maybe a bit more. A Rover axle will not take the weight and your insurance company are likely to be unhappy if you have an accident.

Find a good used drum braked Salisbury rear from another 110, all axles on 90/110/RR/Discovery 1 use the same 3.54:1 ratio. a Discovery rear axle is not rated for a 110 that's why LR do not fit it from new.

Thanks to all who offered advice. Not really sure how to operate this forum thing, in fact I'm a bit freaked by the way I can find help over the internet.

I don't think I can just swap the diff as the nose cone is badly damaged. At least I now know that the ratios are going to be ok, and that it is probably going to be a case of finding an axle and doing the swap. I'm still not sure about the work involved and what problems I may come across, such as really tight nuts. Are there other parts I should change at the same time, or will it be pretty obvious when I get to the job?

Sorry if I appear a bit dim, but I like to have as much info as I can before I start a job.

Thanks again to all

Changing a rear axle is reasonably straighforwards and in theory is a bolt off bolt on exercise. Of course, the number of seized bolts you have is specific to your truck!!

You will also have to disconect the brake line and bleed the brakes once you have the new axle on.