Disco 1 tyre choice?

Rick the Spud

hi all

need some chunkier tyres for my Disco which i only use for 'pay and play' days so don't want to spend too much money and don't care if they hum on the road, but don't want something which looks cool but is too wide and fouls the arches and chassis on full articulation.

1. what's the best/biggest is can go without ANY fouling or arch work?

2. mates got some 750 16s from a defender 110, will they fit/work or will they look naff?

3. the tyres i've got on at the moment sort of do the job (amazing where a standard Disco will go!) but sometimes leak around the bead and get clogged with mud - is there a solution, or just fit tubes?

cheers all

Rick

235-70-16 (standard size) is as big as you can go and be certain you wont catch any bodywork.

245-75-16 is a good choice (got them on my disco) and you may only need a snip off the rear edge of the back wheel arches (called a Camel cut, as its what landrover did on the Camel trophy trucks) done neatly you'd struggle to notice it.

245's will give you an extra 20mm under the diffs, and look smart without being silly.

235-85-16's will go on, but you may need to trim a bit more of the arch away..

Lifting the suspension don't really help much as the problems are caused by the length of the arch, not the height...

7.50x16's will go on, but they are not ideal on a standard 7" disco rim, and will look a bit weedy...

i had 265 75 16s on mine and they were too big for the arches, they were insa turbo spaecial tracks, hummed like hell on the road but were awesome were it counted, defo recomend them

i went to 245/70/16, the lift was a minor 7,5 mm, but the extra width from the standard 205/80/16's gave a good improvement, the wheel arches are not affected, only had to do a small adjustment on the steering stoppers. The steel LR rim my Disco has is a 7J, and the tyre manufacturer's specification call for a minimum of 7J.

A bit of info on tyre choices....

I have just bought BFG MT 245/75 and had them fitted to my V8 - No lift. (£632 for 5 fitted and balanced...phew)

Apart from lock stop on one side....

I found that the tyre caught the inside edge of the front bumper... I do have sag on that side which an upcoming 2" lift will sort.

My point is, If your suspension is tired, you may experience a rub on the front bumper.

(I have removed the valance so therefore just trimmed all the return edge off the front bumper in front of the wheel.. this edge is now about 5mm thick.. and i also pulled the bumper bracket out a bit)

I did the camel cut before fitting so don't know if the rear would have been OK or not...

Cheers

M

cheers guys.

looking good.

freeagent - do they not touch on full articulation? they're looking a bit close on the flat!

No, we've had each wheel up a ramp until it hit the bumpstops and no contact now...

We did a small camel cut on the rear arch, and adjusted the steering lock stops slightly as the tyres just touched the radius arms on full lock...

Landrover build tollerences are so mad that what fits OK on one disco, will not work at all on another!!

A bit of info on tyre choices....

I have just bought BFG MT 245/75 and had them fitted to my V8 - No lift. (£632 for 5 fitted and balanced...phew)

Apart from lock stop on one side....

I found that the tyre caught the inside edge of the front bumper... I do have sag on that side which an upcoming 2" lift will sort.

My point is, If your suspension is tired, you may experience a rub on the front bumper.

(I have removed the valance so therefore just trimmed all the return edge off the front bumper in front of the wheel.. this edge is now about 5mm thick.. and i also pulled the bumper bracket out a bit)

I did the camel cut before fitting so don't know if the rear would have been OK or not...

Cheers

M

Personally I would only fit a 1" lift if you already have bought your tyres.

A 2" lift will give room to 7.50x16, 235.85x16, 265.75x16 tyres, so may leave a bit

too much 'air' in the wheelarches to fill with just 245.75x16.

Re: 2" lift.

Yes I see your point on the lift height and tyre size...

I thought long and hard about 1" or 2" and went with 2" to give extra clearance for the LPG tanks...

Spacers may help with the aesthetics...if they don't I may be swapping the springs for 1" 'ers!

...at least we willl al learn from my expense!!

M

BTW, this is the look I am currently aspiring too!! B)

v8%20disco%20off%20road.jpg

a lift wont stop the tyres catching on wheelarches, bumpers etc - unless the lift springs are soooo stiff it prevents the axle from going up far enough to touch the bumpstops.

if the tyres catch on things, you only really have 2 choices... cut the offending bits off or fit extended bump stops.

I recenty fitted 265/75/16's to my disco, insa turbo special tracks.

Here's a few pics, i had to do lots of trimming and it still needs more...

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00041-1.jpg

DSC00042-1.jpg

I did tong @ bradford on my current setup and I had the most extreme articulation I could hope for, they didn't catch much. Where they caught I will take off.

I'm in the process of doing an extended arch conversion, if I wern't I would just take off where they caught.

• 4 weeks later...