Disco 1 tyre choice?

Rick the Spud

what's a good size to go for to give extra height, but not silly wide!

depends really.

I would probably stick to no bigger than 33" tall unless you want expensive drivetrain upgrades. If you don't want them to stick out keep them narrow.

Sadly tyre choice is slightly limited unless you go for 15" rims though.

I like 235/85R16's though, quite tall (~32") but still fairly narrow. Some 7.50R16's measure very similar sizes, although some are a lot narrower, 7.5" should only really be 190.5mm wide, but many are as wide as 235's.

Failing all this, just buy a wide arch kit then you can go a lot wider and still won't stick out ;)

quality link - answers all my questions!

cheers Chicken Drumsticks - 235/85's it is.

not sure what 'endcap trimming' means, or what 'bump stop height' will mean?

endcap are the plastic bumper corners on the front bumper. The extend down and form a small spoiler/valence. They also form part of the front of the wheel arch. Bigger tyres will often rub on these.

I had that problem fitting some 31.10.50R15's on mine.

Lots of options, fit a HD bumper, remove the end caps altogether (what I did) or some people trim along the horizontal line of the bumper corner inline with the rest of the metal part of the bumper.

Bump stops are rubber block like things mounted on the underside of the chassis rails, as the axle goes up under articulation it will eventually hit this and prevent that side going any higher, it will also to an extent limit the downward travel on the other side of the axle.

They are nothing to worry about though, only on certain suspension setups do you need to look at changing them.

i thin that 235/70/R16 are the easiest tyre choice in terms of no modifications, as this is the standard tyre option on discovery's, i went for some 235/70 insa turbos and i only had to do the smallest trimming ever due to the knobblyness of the tyre, and it was only on the lip of the rear arch where the metal folds back 90 degrees,

i just bent it back even further and it doesent catch now

post-13725-1236889516_thumb.jpg after i trimmed, unnoticable do you not think

post-13725-1236889613_thumb.jpg and it looks good with them, and they perform excelently

mikey

i thin that 235/70/R16 are the easiest tyre choice in terms of no modifications, as this is the standard tyre option on discovery's, i went for some 235/70 insa turbos and i only had to do the smallest trimming ever due to the knobblyness of the tyre, and it was only on the lip of the rear arch where the metal folds back 90 degrees,

i just bent it back even further and it doesent catch now

mikey

They all vary so much though, I fitted 235/70/16 Insa Turbo Sahars to my disco and they didn't catch the arches but needed the lock stops adjusting....

245/75-16 Goodyear MT/R's or BfGoodrich MT

Goodyear sounded more on asphalt though,

I got a love for bfgoodrich i dont know why........they are just awesome for everything. That said even though i work for goodyear........

The goodyear MT/R's are also avaliable in 225/75-16 which should spare you any kind of cutting........

Many nice pics! Great!

I wonder about the road holding with non stock tyre. Except all information about triming etc a really important question for me is roadholding. I do a lot of motorway in Europe in the summer to different offroad tours in Spain etc. I need to replace my old and worn out 225/75 16 and they have been great but I want a bit more ground calrence. For example with 235/85 16 tyres or any other none stock tyres (I consider my old tyres stock tyres because the diffrence is so small). How much does this effect cornering in higher speed?

Thank you in advance

Hi,

I would recommend a good quality All Terrain to you... BFG or General... Depending on what stock tyres you run you may even see and increase in grip! I have done in the past... Standard Jeep Goodyears are lethal!

...and to be honest... My BFG Muds are fine.. they still grip as much as I want to chuck it around... I am a bit more picky with my R1!

Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...
Re: 2" lift.

Yes I see your point on the lift height and tyre size...

I thought long and hard about 1" or 2" and went with 2" to give extra clearance for the LPG tanks...

Spacers may help with the aesthetics...if they don't I may be swapping the springs for 1" 'ers!

...at least we willl al learn from my expense!!

M

BTW, this is the look I am currently aspiring too!! B)

v8%20disco%20off%20road.jpg

does anyone know what lift and tire size this is????

Re: 2" lift.

Yes I see your point on the lift height and tyre size...

I thought long and hard about 1" or 2" and went with 2" to give extra clearance for the LPG tanks...

Spacers may help with the aesthetics...if they don't I may be swapping the springs for 1" 'ers!

...at least we willl al learn from my expense!!

M

BTW, this is the look I am currently aspiring too!! B)

v8%20disco%20off%20road.jpg

does anyone know what size tires and lift this disco has???

love this setup