FORUM PROPOSAL: New Section.

Astro_Al

New Forum Sections?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a section on workshop skills and tools?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you like a section on routine tasks & maintenance work?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you like a section on custom fabrication work?

• Yes
    • No

Howdy, I'd like to propose a new forum section on tools, fabrication techniques, and general workshop shenanigans.

They have a useful section like this on Pirate and some other fora, full of good tech on how to do stuff, people's home made tools, projects, workshop practices, recommendations (or not) for equipment etc etc.

I think this would be a valuable addition here as people seem to be going more and more down the custom fabrication route. Also, it'd be good to make it UK-based as the US-based ones always quote sources that don't mean anything to a UK / Euro resident.

Having written that, I've just had the further thought that a section showing step-by-step builds for custom parts, or walk-thrus of specific jobs (like changing a CV or whatever) could be good too. So far, it's really only Les's adventures (like the intercooler) and a couple of others - brake conversions, cages etc. This section could contain both routine jobs and custom work, or we could split them into 2 groups?

It could help to answer a lot of the FAQs by just pointing to a thread explaining how to do it?

MODs - don't ban me! :P Is this possible? :huh: I promise I'll contribute soon! :D:D:D

I've included a 3-section poll for the options, but comments are always better than votes. Thoughts? Al.

Not for me as too many forums dilutes the input

I can't be ar5ed to look at all the pirate ones.

there is a tech archive that houses anything that is useful,

there is far more than the few topics you list already in there

winches/recovery/mntnce tips/vehicles/EGT systems/onboard air/waterprrofing V8 etc etc

anyone can suggest stuff to go in there.

routine maintenance - buy a haynes :angry: or am I missing the point?

Maybe, last time I used a Hayne's on my Honda NS125 it told me to assemble the rear wheel bearings in a certain order, to which I then found when I wanted to fit the other side bearing and slide the shaft in that it had told me the wrong bearing to fit first and that the housing now tapered the wrong way :blink::o:angry:

Haynes, hide all sharp objects and bring forth the valium :lol:

Okey dokey - to be honest the idea was really a workshop/tools/techniques forum, the others I just threw in to make the idea complete.

I agree that we have specific forums for jobs on specific cars already, though I do not agree that 'buying a Haynes manual' is the answer to all routine operations - if that were the case, a quarter of the forum content would not be there...

Anyway, apart from white90, there seems to be support so far for a shop/tools section?

Al.

I tend to agree with Tony, but I think the tech archive doesn't get enough press being tucked away down the bottom of the list of forums.

Maybe we should put more emphasis on the tech archive rather than adding in more forums that may or may not get visited?

Not for me as too many forums dilutes the input

I can't be ar5ed to look at all the pirate ones.

there is a tech archive that houses anything that is useful,

there is far more than the few topics you list already in there

winches/recovery/mntnce tips/vehicles/EGT systems/onboard air/waterprrofing V8 etc etc

anyone can suggest stuff to go in there.

I agree with white 90, the forums can be easily diluted.

I have noted on many occasion that I am the only member trawling the tech archives, perhaps it is because its at the bottom, would be nice towards the top.

The tech archive is to say the least very good, it deserves more attention!

Well to be honest - the tech archive isn't contributed to enough. If it was, then this site would be the better for it. Winch challenges. meets. shows, and other stuff gets photographed, but get the tool kit out and the camera is nowhere to be seen. How many have you have got a camera, done a repair and not posted it? The gallery will store your pictures, so no photo hosting costs - in fact no costs at all and a valuable contribution to this website is made.

As for fabrication - how many things are made by several people that would qualify said item(s) to be in a forum of its own - not many I should think. Perhaps a fabrication/special tools forum, but that's all in my opinion.

Lets face it - most of the time you ask a question and it gets answered pretty quick anyway.

Les. :)

Well to be honest - the tech archive isn't contributed to enough. If it was, then this site would be the better for it. Wich challenges. meets. shows, and other stuff gets photographed, but get the tool kit out and the camera is nowhere to be seen. How many have you have got a camera, done a repair and not posted it? The gallery will store your pictures, so no photo hosting costs - in fact no costs at all and a valuable contribution to this website is made.

As for fabrication - how many things are made by several people that would qualify said item(s) to be in a forum of its own - not many I should think. Perhaps a fabrication/special tools forum, but that's all in my opinion.

Lets face it - most of the time you ask a question and it gets answered pretty quick anyway.

Les. :)

oi, you're not having a go at me with my DIY series steering drop arm removal tool are ya!! handbags at 20 paces.... :angry:

Maybe, last time I used a Hayne's on my Honda NS125 it told me to assemble the rear wheel bearings in a certain order, to which I then found when I wanted to fit the other side bearing and slide the shaft in that it had told me the wrong bearing to fit first and that the housing now tapered the wrong way :blink::o:angry:

You must have the early edition of this manual; later versions have printed, in big letters

"WARNING: This manual should not be used as a substitute for common sense" :lol::rolleyes:

Is the poll feature working right? We've got 90-odd percent in favour of a new forum section, but a long list of vaguely negative comments in the thread???

If someone, for example, creates a thread to build a gearbox or engine, documenting it along the way and asking questions as they go, where should they put this? Annoy everyone by keeping it at the top of the 'International Forum', which seems to see just about everything from jokes to build threads of this type?

So many vehicles are model-blurred that I don't think it would fit in a specific vehicle forum, it may not justify going in the tech archive, so what do we have left?

I don't see the 'forum dilution' as a real issue - it's still here in the same forum, at the moment I'd be more inclined to post on Outerlimits or Pirate if I wrote a build up thread, say for my upcoming tool project and custom axles. So in this way the forum is LOSING content.

Just thinking out loud really, I think there is justification for different areas myself, and so far the votes reflect this (even the routine work which suprises me a bit).

>"As for fabrication - how many things are made by several people that would qualify said item(s) to be in a forum of its own - not many I should think. " [Les]

I think it seems to be becoming more common, I just wondered if we had a space for it, people would spend more time documenting it etc - I think it snowballs, people see what others are doing and have ideas of their own (and see HOW to do it).

Cheers. Al.

You must have the early edition of this manual; later versions have printed, in big letters

"WARNING: This manual should not be used as a substitute for common sense" :lol::rolleyes:

One thing's for sure, I aint repeated the error of taking Hayne's as gospel :lol:

Al,

In answer to your Q about gearbox rebuilds etc, they tend to go in the international forum, but when the thread has run its course it gets moved by that nice chap Mr White90 into the tech archive to be preserved for ever.

That's why I think the tech archive should be lit up in bright lights so we'll all notice it more and go look in it before asking a question that has the answer clearly given in a thread in the tech archive.

any thread can evolve,be worked through, once it starts to disappear

I move it to the tech archive, if it needs to be added to it gets moved back.

IMHO having lots of different sections dilutes input,

just look in the Disco/Defender forums there are loads of good articles in there but few replies as the majority of traffic stays in the intnl forum

even to the point where people have missed events being arranged as they rarley look outside the forum of thier choice.

to have 20+ individual forums with a few topics in each will lead thissite towards other that exist already, Difflock has good stuff but difficulyt to search/vehicle maker based forums plus many others as such I read only 2 or 3 of them, pirate pretty similar, ORRP has a good selection with sub menus which are good for linking.

as I said above if there is anything anywhere wanted in the tech archive as long as it is relevant to someone and not a load of details about someones MTB seat post then ask the forum mod to move it in there.

I look for info for our tech archive all the time then seek permission to link to it or use some of it. if anyone finds something, why not do the same?