4.2 classic engine accessories

oneten110

Does anybody out there have a pic of the front end of a 4.2 engine please, i have just bought a bare engine to replace the tdi in my defender. I need a pic of the front end so I know which brackets to buy to fit the alternator and power stering pump, if anybody has such a thing please. The one in the parts catalogue would probably be more helpful than a picture of an installed engine.

Thank you in advance for any help gents

Ive just taken one out and have 90% of what you need, Two of some bits and a lot of it brand new!

I'll get some pic's this PM.

Thank you, but at this stage I don't even know if the engine I have is a serpentine or a multi belt engine. Is there any way to tell them apart when all the ancillaries have been stripped??

If its a 4.2 they only did them with 3 seperate belts. Its a finny setup with 2 single V belts and one 4 rib multi v for the alt'. I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Thank you very much, that would be helpful, serves me right for buying an engine that has sat around at the back of a garage for years. But really wanted a 4.2.

Unfortunately it is bare, all the ancillaries have been stripped off it along with the rocker covers, the distributor and all the manifolds.

So a bit to do to it, I am going to put carbs on it to start with, if only because I have got plenty of them and still have the HUGE air filter that sits across the back of the engine.

I am also on the look out for the following bits if anybody has them please?

air inlet duct ETC7193 or ERC5453

support bracket LH ERC3892

support bracket RH ERC3893

retaining strap front ERC3946

retaining strap rear ERC3897

and probably about a million other things as the re-conversion proceeds.

If its a 4.2 they only did them with 3 seperate belts. Its a finny setup with 2 single V belts and one 4 rib multi v for the alt'. I'll get a pic tomorrow.

That sounds like the same arrangement my 3.9 had - I thought that was only used for one year (93), but maybe it was used on the 4.2 as well?

I'm afraid that that is not true! All 'Soft Dash' LSEs have a serpentine belt on the 4.2L. I have one outside on mine!! These engines are quite rare as they were only produced for less than a year before the LSE was dropped!

However, I believe it can be converted to v-belts, although I seem to remember something about the front face of the engine block being different to the v-belt block. What effect this has I don't know!

• 3 weeks later...