Depreciation D3 is alarming

white90

Ouch!

I guess the catastrophic fall in price is probably down to the fact nobody who does their homework would want to buy/own one once the warranty has run out - I know I wouldn't and I see more of them than most people.

The price guide I usually use http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/...73&plate=80 suggests that figure isn't much below a typical one for part exchange either.

My stepbrother was horrified with the offer made by the garage for his 54 plate V6 td HSE D3..................................84k on th eclock one owner from new.......................................£7500.00 :blink::blink::blink:

Early petrol L322 RR are about the same now, saw one go for £8500.00 but with all the problems just about to start I think !!

My view over priced, but they have huge amounts of toys which won't be much good for the good old boys when they do become afforable !!

I honestly believe LR have totally cocked up by moving everything up market constantly with ever increasing prices and complexity, I decided way back in April that I needed to replace my road car and seriously considered a Freebie 2 until I drove one and realised how big it is, the electronics are scary, LR have a carp reputation with electrics longevity, it is very expensive and lastly it is heavy on juice. Added to which the local LR Dealer was completely disinterested in a deal with a trade in and totally pooh poohed any sort of discount. So I went and bought a Jeep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paid £5k less, got a good trade in, it has all the attributes for gentle laning of a Freebie 2, has a VW engine and drive train, returns well in excess of 40 mpg and so far has been absolutely 100% reliable.

Local paper had a hilarious advert from Kentdale this week offering £5k off a Freebie 2, sorry to late for me !!!!

I know many of you don't read LRO any more, but a report in this months states that recently some of the early D3s have sold for less than £4k at Brightwell auction house......I think at that price I'd take the risk of running one.

I was also told that on a radio program recently someone told them that he had bought a 4x4 less than 3 years old for less than £3k at auction, but the person that told me couldn't remember the make.

I know many of you don't read LRO any more, but a report in this months states that recently some of the early D3s have sold for less than £4k at Brightwell auction house......I think at that price I'd take the risk of running one.

I was also told that on a radio program recently someone told them that he had bought a 4x4 less than 3 years old for less than £3k at auction, but the person that told me couldn't remember the make.

i have looked at a few D3 now 05 plate 32,000 miles poverty spec but one owner with towbar and it was auto 8k

07 se auto, towbar,45,000 miles in black 12k but tax disk will be 400 quid a year :(

so i think i will sit it out a bit longer yet

I had a look at brightwells recent auction sales and there dont seem to be any particular bargins or D2's or D3's - in fact they seem to be selling for more than an equivalent vehicle on autotrader in many cases!

I believe thats this is down to people Having to get out of these deals ASAP, cutting and running. Dealers still in fantasy land though so brightwells may make more money.

This is evedent on the bay with RRS etc. Company bosses need to free up capital.

Friend of a friend just picked up a 04 D3 for £8k. Hearing loads of stories of RR's going for £8k-£10k. That's a cheap £60k car!

Japs faring no better. Mate enquired how much Mitsi garage would give him for 18-month old £32k Shogun. £14K :o He's decided to keep it....

Its merely IMHO a 4x4 thats too expensive to start with, selling in a credit crunch environment,

with loads of electrics and do dahs that with LR build qulaity spells loads of £ and trouble as they

will go wrong rather than if, and when they do they will cost a F fortune to fix.

Now..............

Try to buy a 200 / 300 TDi 90, or a 300 Tdi RR and they will fetch a premium as they can be run,

fixed and maintained for not much and...with basic tools

IMHO these new whizzy leccy loaded grot boxes are just depreciation waiting to haoppen

as nobody likes then out of warranty ........or more importnant wants them

Nige

A local friend who owns one had a dash board warnig

took it to the dealer and to fix said leak involved entire engine removal.

Car is too complex and far too expensive unless you have money to throw away

they must be one of the cars to avoid..

Far better to get a Defender that would at least retain value long term and plus you can fix it yourself

I have been told that to change a turbo on a D3 involves taking the engine out !!!! Sounds like Issigonis had a hand in the design he was the master at making the simple maintenance job a nightmare, Mini (proper one not the Beemer one) engine mounts and Minivan points replacement !!!

Then of course there's the well known diff problems on the RR and numerous elctickery issues with sensors etc etc.

I shall stay with trusty 200 tdi RR thankyou and eventually replace it with galvy chassised Defender 200 tdi, that should see me out :unsure::unsure:

seems strange that if they are so overpriced, so terrible etc then why do you see literally DOZENS of them every day when out and about? its probably the most common 4x4 on the road at the minute.

to people who want to spend £3K on something that is basically a tractor and will go on forever then it probably is terrible, but to people who buy executive estates, luxury saloons et al then its probably "just the norm"

very expensive and hideously complicated to work on!

I'd have one, but I dont think I could live with myself if I had to sell my current "nice" car go slow everywhere!

I have been told that to change a turbo on a D3 involves taking the engine out !!!! Sounds like Issigonis had a hand in the design he was the master at making the simple maintenance job a nightmare, Mini (proper one not the Beemer one) engine mounts and Minivan points replacement !!!

Then of course there's the well known diff problems on the RR and numerous elctickery issues with sensors etc etc.

I shall stay with trusty 200 tdi RR thankyou and eventually replace it with galvy chassised Defender 200 tdi, that should see me out :unsure::unsure:

actually the LR recommended way of replacing the turbo on a D3 is remove the body.

:ph34r:

40 hours labour to remove and refit.

i plop you not - thats the gods honest truth!

Basically modern cars are designed for a first owner experience - for the first owner to keep it 3 to 5 years with minimal reliability issues (bit of room for improvement there then...) and thats it. I doubt any manufacturer cares what happens to the vehicle when it is 10 years old nowadays.

Still wake up screaming at night remembering the bottom radiator hose I did on a mini. Longtime ago now. :o

I don't reckon I could find the turbo in a D3 let alone change it. Still can't beat a series for simple accessability.

Steve

Basically modern cars are designed for a first owner experience - for the first owner to keep it 3 to 5 years with minimal reliability issues (bit of room for improvement there then...) and thats it. I doubt any manufacturer cares what happens to the vehicle when it is 10 years old nowadays.

This may well be the sad truth of designed obsolescence - manufacturers make products to break so they will be replaced or repaired at cost making them more money.

Biggest problem is manufactures need to take responsibility for their products and design them better, to be longer lasting and more reliable...

;) Well to put the otherside off the story. I have a D3 that i bought brand new 13 months ago now so i could get the exact spec i wanted. I bought it with my eyes wide open and have no problems loosing money on it or paying tax for it. Its the best car i have owned interms of working, towing,slobbing,lobbing muddy gear at, but when it's just been valeted it turns everyone into an Owl as it goes past (something i really dont think other makes even come close to doing) The problems with the early cars do appear to have been overcome and most problems i have had are really due to poor dealers not having a clue( the local dealer once told me to put the headrest down so that the incorrect hole in the seat could not be seen!!!!:angry:.and believe me i could tell you more of the same) but with a bit of luck the current economy might get rid of them or make them buck up there ideas as i for one am happy to travel to get the service i expect.When its out of warranty im sure Gwyn Lewis will service it to my expectations for less than the dealers ( I can see him running for cover now). The prices have taken a bigger hit than expected but if pushed i normally say it has gone down about the same as your house :P If you are looking for a tow car i would say now is the time to buy. Give it a quick stop past Andy from Allisport as im told this works well :ph34r: and enjoy the bargain you have bought. When you have to pay to fix it don't complain about the cost as you have just bought a car that might have cost 60K new for 10-15K so were you expecting fiesta repair bills?

When you have to pay to fix it don't complain about the cost as you have just bought a car that might have cost 60K new for 10-15K so were you expecting fiesta repair bills?

mmmmm are we still talking about the Disco3. If you paid £60k for one, you got a bad deal ;) ;) ;)

This may well be the sad truth of designed obsolescence - manufacturers make products to break so they will be replaced or repaired at cost making them more money.

A bit of a leap there smo, Stephen was pointing out that they design and price cars to sell new, nothing more. Believe me, manufacturers are designing/engineering them to be reliable. Not one wants warranty claims. The issue arises with new technology, compromises to meet price points and insufficient testing. It's a fine balance that all car manufacturers aim to get right. may don't succeed. Land Rover live in a competitive world like any other car manufacturer.

Cheers

Steve

mmmmm are we still talking about the Disco3. If you paid £60k for one, you got a bad deal ;) ;) ;)

Steve

List price with extras no problem at all!!!! Pop down to Porche or BMW and look at the extras its the biggest laugh going when you compare to the prices in mags. Discount is normal when shopping around for LR's even before the credit crunch. That goes for the dealer sevice costs as well. Shop around!!! you might be surprised.