Depreciation D3 is alarming

white90

Just wait untill britpart start making spares for a D3......joyus

Lucas prince of darkness....

prince of saggy suspension

prince of panicking airbags

prince of cross eyed swivelly headlights

prince of self-elevating seats

I think there's a good cartoon in that if anybody who can draw is feeling creative :rofl:

As I have often said before, a lovely car when it works.

Just wait untill britpart start making spares for a D3......joyus

I bought some britpart hinges for my defender a while a go, not realising they were britpart when I ordered. When I got them they were wonky as hell (so much so theres no way they would have held the door straight. Outside they had rusted in under 12 hours. And the mirror holes were missing off the drivers side. Worst thing I ever bought, sent them back. Don't know how britpart get away with it / make any money.

At the prices being quoted I could sell the defender and buy a D3 in a few months. Even for the comfort and control I think I prefer the defender. Anyway, I can't get insurance on a manual one.

I love the look of the D3, its a great mix of style and functionality.

I'd buy one tomorrow if I could afford a new one, and didn't care about the tragic depreciation, but as a poor Engineer with a young family its not the kind of decisions i'll be making anytime soon. :(

however, I'd be very wary of running one out of warranty, as I know the build quality is a bit moody, and the electrical control systems are complex and probably not as rubust as they should be.. :rolleyes:

Its a shame they didn't offer a 'ROW' spec model with the same looks/interiors but coil springs/simpler engine/ less electronic control systems. :unsure:

I'm sure as others have said the RRS and D3 will be regulars on pay & play days in the next few years, and people will get round the electronic issues (there are lots of people who have now deconstructed the Td5 ECU software and have a great understanding of it, but I do think the D3/RRS electronic systems are more complex, so might take a bit longer)

The good thing about vehicle electrics is that a lot of it is 'plug and play' so any duff components can be replaced fairly easily, although from what others have posted taking the body off to change the Turbo is a much bigger worry than changing a few sensors :rolleyes::unsure:

I hate spending money buying cars, I just don't see the point.

I have wanted a D3 since they arrived and its great news that they are now pretty much within my self imposed £4k buying limit. If we weren't so pleased with our Freelander I'd be seriously looking for a D3 now. Fixing them won't be an issue once the likes of Paddock start stocking spares properly and the glitches have been bypassed by genius enthusiasts in garden sheds or their geeky sons on their PCs.

Will :)

Its a shame they didn't offer a 'ROW' spec model with the same looks/interiors but coil springs/simpler engine/ less electronic control systems. :unsure:

Actually there is a base version with coil springs and there is a ROW version but the engine is not much different (just runs better on rubbishy fuel) and you still have to take the body off to change anything except the oil filter. The downside is the base version doesn't have Terrain Response, there is no cross-linking on the coil suspension and the base model's traction control system is about as rubbish as the ETC on the Discovery 2. I took one for a very gentle spin off road when they came out and cross axled it very easily at which point it refused point blank to make any forward progress despite having two wheels on good hard ground. I wasn't impressed at all, I think the D3 needs the air suspension and electronics to give it any hope off road, I've never tried a full house Terrain Response one with locking rear diff but if its anything like the Terrain Response that the Freelander 2 has, I would think it should be good within the limits of ground clearance, weight and plastic bumpers etc. I spent a week with the journos from Autocar thrashing two pre production Freelander 2s round the Falklands in 2006 and I never thought you would go some of the places we did in a Freelander. Ultimately the only thing that let it down was not having low range, the terrain response was superb, though how long it would last if you treated it the way they did in the long term is perhaps another matter :D

I spent a week with the journos from Autocar thrashing two pre production Freelander 2s round the Falklands in 2006 and I never thought you would go some of the places we did in a Freelander. Ultimately the only thing that let it down was not having low range, the terrain response was superb, though how long it would last if you treated it the way they did in the long term is perhaps another matter :D

It's awesome isn't it!!! I'm driving a Freelander 2 most days now and it was stunned with how well it worked in the recent snow! In the grass/gravel/snow mode it was doing things like skid steering the vehicle! Very impressive!

Whats the traction control like on a TD5 90/110?

I know it's not fancy like the D3 TC but does it allow you to make progress with wheels in the air?

I could retro fit it to my 90 when it goes auto.

I've driven a puma engined 90 with TC offroad on road tyres and was very impressed. I've been out in our Freelander this morning and thats bloody good too ;) I really must wash it before Lucy sees it ;)

GABYmud.JPG

Will :)

Whats the traction control like on a TD5 90/110?

I know it's not fancy like the D3 TC but does it allow you to make progress with wheels in the air?

I could retro fit it to my 90 when it goes auto.

Given that you need to fit the ABS system (which is not that reliable) I would spend probably less money and get a set of ARBs to do a proper job.

I think it works ok due to the vehicle having a centre difflock (the lack of which is the main reason the D2's ETC is rubbish) though I can't say I have really tried a Defender in anger, very few here have it as the extra cost of the ABS/ETC is massive on a basic ROW vehicle.

Well back from the day at LRE Skipton, superb day with really good instructors so thanks to Ronnie Dale, Adrian and Glen McKeith really knowledgeable and calm guys whilst we did stupid things in 110's Freebie 2s, D3's and a RR Sport. I am still astounded how capable they all are, the electronics make them so easy to drive and hilarious when you can get wheels 2 feet off the ground and just drive on, even in the Freebie. We all learn't a lot of how to drive a LR and also how to get the best out your road cars ABS, ESP etc etc.

Worst bit was this morning when one of the group went out to his 11 day old diesel V8 RR, to just get a click on turning the key, so he rang LR Assist "Sorry sir we have no records of your car " :unsure::unsure: But then the troops arrived, LRE to the rescue their RR Sport and aset of jump leads !!! But for a £50k plus car after just 11 days not good !!!!! But he did say he got a huge discount on it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Terrain Response is not infallible ;)

post-33-1234457137_thumb.jpg

We didn't bog this LRE instructor at all deliberately on the last day and certainly didn't park the Defenders on either side to rub it in :D

post-33-1234457360_thumb.jpg

Mind you considering the conditions, the fact I nearly sank in the same place with a 90 on 33x12.50R15 MT's and that the Freebie was only on AT2s I think it did pretty well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Having just read the thread i think we're just going to have to except that new landrovers are going to be less of a bodge it solution and more of a pain in the backside to fix. It'll be less time with the hammer and spanner and more time on a tester or lap top sorting things out. Failing that we'll just keep using the lap top to moan about the things we love, because thing are getting newer and we are getting older. When i can aford it i'll get a d3 and live with the moaning,spanner rash and smashed tea cups when things go wrong. Thing will get cheaper as people start breaking then as well and technology catches up. But what do i know lol :lol: