My Discovery

Brian S

Time for a small update.

The bullbar and the Steering guard would not fit together. When the Bullbar was on one of the brackets was welded in the wrong possition so it was attaching at an angle.

Also there was some other welding needed on it and the plastic coating was well past its best.

So I had the bracket removed and re-welded in the correct place, the bottom bits that hang down were cut short and the light protector bars on the passenger side was welded back on as all the welds had split all ound where it fits in the A Bar. It has obviously done its job in the past judging by the dent on the corner of the bar.

Then it went off for blasting and powder coating.

The bar had a lot of corrosoin so its not exactly pretty but at least its 100 times better now. :)

Then today just 1/2 hour to fit it all on :D

a.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Comments welcome :)

• 1 month later...

Time for an update.

I've not been out for ages now, the timing is always wrong for Bures and my mates seem to have given up on the Laning.

But I've done a few bits to the wagon.

I brought a replacement door after picking up some damage and its been in my garage for months so today I decided to fit it since I am trying to clear out the garage.

The old door.

door1.jpg

door.jpg

New door on

door2.jpg

There is a lot of nuts and bolts in a Landy door

door4.jpg

And done.

door3.jpg

I've spent some time cleaning her up and following round the rust with rust cure.

I also fitted some 8" 100w driving lamps and will be wiring them up tomorrow.

Image001.jpg

Finally a picture to explain my cleaning obsession.

My other toys....

Toys.jpg

Comments always welcome. :)

Hi brian,

Nice work.

We haven't given up on laning! Its just we seem to be available at different times...

BTW ive brought a full Rimmer bros stainless exhuast system incl. tubular headers. Its about time you brought some tubular headers etc to get that V8 roar (and we can sound out John and drizz's Oil burners on our next laning trip)

Paul

Hi brian,

Nice work.

We haven't given up on laning! Its just we seem to be available at different times...

BTW ive brought a full Rimmer bros stainless exhuast system incl. tubular headers. Its about time you brought some tubular headers etc to get that V8 roar (and we can sound out John and drizz's Oil burners on our next laning trip)

Paul

When are you fitting the headers? It would be good to hear yours then I can convince myself I need a set. :)

As for the roar, I'd just rather leave them in our dust.... :D

Not given up just been busy ;)

Bures is open on May 3rd, Whos coming?

When are you fitting the headers? It would be good to hear yours then I can convince myself I need a set. :)

As per my text Brian. Bures on 3rd of may then skating with everyone in the evening for my birthday....

I have fitted the headers, y section and center box, but not yet happy with it as i need to modify/fabricate the transmission cross member. My plan is to remove the centre box and just run the rear silencer which should give a nice rumble (John & Drizz should hear it the most as we cruize past them!!)

Sounds better than before so im happy. Hopefully will make bures on the 3rd but not sure as time is short at the moment to work on the truck.

I have fitted the headers, y section and center box, but not yet happy with it as i need to modify/fabricate the transmission cross member. My plan is to remove the centre box and just run the rear silencer which should give a nice rumble (John & Drizz should hear it the most as we cruize past them!!)

Sounds better than before so im happy. Hopefully will make bures on the 3rd but not sure as time is short at the moment to work on the truck.

Thats ok you speed on past. Then when youre stuck in a puddle we can trundle on past with a ;)

Sounds like it gonna be nice and noisy. :)

What do you need to do before the 3rd then?

Nice looking truck you've got coming along there but I have a huge concern about your choice of front recovery points.

JW Riyadh was involved in a very unfortunate accident in Saudi when a guy used them to tow out a stricken Discovery. To cut a long story short...one of them came adrift from the Discovery and embedded it's self into the skull of a guy sitting in JW's back seat.

The unfortunate guy was a mate of mine who suffered a frontal labotamy costing him his job as a nurse and the majority of his senses.

Those points are not rated for recovery or anything else come to think of it.

FYI.

S.

Nice looking truck you've got coming along there but I have a huge concern about your choice of front recovery points.

JW Riyadh was involved in a very unfortunate accident in Saudi when a guy used them to tow out a stricken Discovery. To cut a long story short...one of them came adrift from the Discovery and embedded it's self into the skull of a guy sitting in JW's back seat.

The unfortunate guy was a mate of mine who suffered a frontal labotamy costing him his job as a nurse and the majority of his senses.

Those points are not rated for recovery or anything else come to think of it.

FYI.

S.

They are there only for light recovery, for when I fall into a ditch maybe, or the engine dies in a puddle. I try to avoid the deep mud and difficult stuff.

The steering guard has a very strong welded hole for those shackles but the bullbar covers them unfortunately.

I may look at a way of cutting away the bullbar metal and drilling through to make a very strong hole.

Sounds like it gonna be nice and noisy. :)

What do you need to do before the 3rd then?

Mainly the exhuast as the Y section needs extending to past the x-member before it bends down to the centre section, make new exhaust brackets as its all sitting too low and will be the first thing to get caught and rip off if i take it off road at the moment. On the good side i fitted my home made snorkel today so im hopefully one steep closer to 'being able to drive thro' water without misfires'.

Still got atank guard to fix, adjust me toe bar to allow for steeper decent angle and sort out an annoying knock on the front driverside!

Drizz Im hoping to convert to megasquirt soon so i should be able to join you in the deep stuff :) but i wont be polluting the water with nasty chip fat lol

Mainly the exhuast as the Y section needs extending to past the x-member before it bends down to the centre section, make new exhaust brackets as its all sitting too low and will be the first thing to get caught and rip off if i take it off road at the moment. On the good side i fitted my home made snorkel today so im hopefully one steep closer to 'being able to drive thro' water without misfires'.

Still got atank guard to fix, adjust me toe bar to allow for steeper decent angle and sort out an annoying knock on the front driverside!

Drizz Im hoping to convert to megasquirt soon so i should be able to join you in the deep stuff :) but i wont be polluting the water with nasty chip fat lol

Whos the daddy ;) LOL

Why does Megasquirt not get effeted by water?

I did a google search and read a bit but its just another form of ECU isn't it?

I cant get my head around it. Does it remove the dizzy or something? If not it will still be effected by water surely.

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics from Bures yesterday

It was very dry and the ground was like concrete (Literally in parts eh dan..;) ) so I kept getting stuck with my standard wheels and suspension, where normaly in the mud I would slide through. :)

Image040-3.jpg

Image048-2.jpg

Image049-1.jpg

Image050.jpg

Image051.jpg

Image052.jpg

Image053.jpg

Image054-1.jpg

Image054-1.jpg

Image056.jpg

Image057.jpg

Image058.jpg