Defender maximum tyre size?

Hi all,

I have a Def 90 with recent 2" OME lift, I am running 265/75/16 BFG AT's

The 90 has a JE stage 2 tune and discovery gear ratios.

I want a slightly more aggresive stance and ability that i have seen on other 90's.. and what i have gleened from "search" is.

Keep wheel and tyre combo and get 30mm spacers - cheapest option.. downsides?

Change to 285/75/16 BFG MT's - wider tyre. will it rub? cause articualtion issues?

Or change wheel and tyres ( i love the black / grey mach 5's on the black Def 09)

Question is.... what is the best combo?

Does it adversly affect the handling? road noise?

Will it impact off road articulation?

A few people have mentioned the BFG MT is not much more noisy than the AT's...

So what's a guy to do?

Cheers

I would prefer 255 for cutting into mud to get to the solid stuff under. I was at one point considering wider tyres but lots of people had told me that they have gone wider and had more trouble in wet mud.

A nice set of 285/75R16s on 8J x 16 rims will look great on the 90. I am doing the same on my 110 with a 2" lift from OME. Just a question, I love the original deep dish alloys, but they are only 7" wide and will the 285/75R16s fit on them. According to many sites they say for 285s you must have a 8" - 9" wide rim.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

A nice set of 285/75R16s on 8J x 16 rims will look great on the 90. I am doing the same on my 110 with a 2" lift from OME. Just a question, I love the original deep dish alloys, but they are only 7" wide and will the 285/75R16s fit on them. According to many sites they say for 285s you must have a 8" - 9" wide rim.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

:rolleyes::lol:

I want a slightly more aggresive stance and ability that i have seen on other 90's..

What do you mean by 'ability'? Do you mean off-road ability?

With your Disco gears, I wouldn't go above a 33" tyre as it will be sluggish on road.

AT or MT - MT's will be quite a bit noisier, will wear more on road and you'll have an increased stopping distance in dry and wet. MT's have better traction off road in most uk conditions, so it's up to you on how you want to compromise.

So if you choose an MT, it all depends if you want the looks or better traction off road. Problem with 285's is that their increased width over a 255 is that as stated above they won't dig down as well and you'll be rubbing all the time in most ruts. You'll also have less of a turning circle, reducing drivability. So if you want a good off road MT for the uk then the 255/85 16 is probably the best. If you want the fat tyre look then the 285's fit the bill.

If you go for AT's then 285's are a perfectly good size.