bearing noise? when turning left.

mjm295

2000, 1.8XEi

On left turns, there is a loud chattering sound from the front of the car, its quite like a knackered bearing sound. I thought CV joint? but there is no clicking on tight turns, it runs great in a straight line, and doesn't make a sound on turning right.

The noise only seems to happen at 2nd gear speeds. ie when turning in to the end of the street, or coming out of the carpark at work. It doesnt happen when pulling out of a parking space, and is not there at higher speeds. Its not just in 2nd though - that was just to give an idea of speed.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

There's still a wheel bearing - the drive shaft passes through it immediately after the CV joint. It's a one piece sleeved bearing, so has to be pressed in. Identifying if it's the wheel bearing isn't so easy unless it's started to break up. The usual way is to jack the wheel clear of the ground and then spin/rock it to look for signs of wear/excessive play. Unfortunately this doesn't work with Freelanders - due to the drive train. Normal method is to pull the hub off the driveshaft and then spin the hub - it should turn smoothly with some resistance and no other play.

Les.

There's still a wheel bearing - the drive shaft passes through it immediately after the CV joint. It's a one piece sleeved bearing, so has to be pressed in. Identifying if it's the wheel bearing isn't so easy unless it's started to break up. The usual way is to jack the wheel clear of the ground and then spin/rock it to look for signs of wear/excessive play. Unfortunately this doesn't work with Freelanders - due to the drive train. Normal method is to pull the hub off the driveshaft and then spin the hub - it should turn smoothly with some resistance and no other play.

Les.

Thanks Les, I did have the hub off at the weekend, but didn't really notice any play, however I was not sure what I was looking for. Seeing as its only a 30 minute job to whip the hub off I will have another go this weekend. time permitting.

Also - Will that hub tend to run hotter? just a thought, I guess I could shove a hand in there to check.

The bearing would have to be seriously worn/running dry in order for it to generate detectable heat. Binding brakes tend to cause excessive radiant heat from a single hub in comparison to the opposite side, but generally this problem doesn't cause any noise when the vehicle is used (just directional change when braking or bashing into things when you don't expect to :) ) I wouldn't touch the disc to determine excessive heat unless you have no further use for the skin on your finger tip. Spit on both discs and watch the difference - a heat loaded disc will boil it and may also be blue to look at.

Les.

The bearing would have to be seriously worn/running dry in order for it to generate detectable heat. Binding brakes tend to cause excessive radiant heat from a single hub in comparison to the opposite side, but generally this problem doesn't cause any noise when the vehicle is used (just directional change when braking or bashing into things when you don't expect to :) ) I wouldn't touch the disc to determine excessive heat unless you have no further use for the skin on your finger tip. Spit on both discs and watch the difference - a heat loaded disc will boil it and may also be blue to look at.

Les.

Hahaha

Thanks again Les, I did not intend to touch the disks. I was planning to reach around the back and feel the hub. I guess the best thing to do is strip them again and have a look/feel.

• 3 weeks later...
Hahaha

Thanks again Les, I did not intend to touch the disks. I was planning to reach around the back and feel the hub. I guess the best thing to do is strip them again and have a look/feel.

Les - I have the hub off, it all turns freely, and is tight, it wont freely spin, but moves smoothly when I turn it by hand.

The CV joint does feel quite loose, I can move it around quite easily with light pressure from 1 finger, infact it would probably slop about if I took the whole thing out of the car. I am about to cut the tie and pack it with grease to see if it gets an quieter. TBH its a bit loose for my liking, I remember last time I changed a CV, the new one was very tight and hard to move by hand.

So its new drive shaft time I think

Les - I have the hub off, it all turns freely, and is tight, it wont freely spin, but moves smoothly when I turn it by hand.

The CV joint does feel quite loose, I can move it around quite easily with light pressure from 1 finger, infact it would probably slop about if I took the whole thing out of the car. I am about to cut the tie and pack it with grease to see if it gets an quieter. TBH its a bit loose for my liking, I remember last time I changed a CV, the new one was very tight and hard to move by hand.

So its new drive shaft time I think

OK packed with grease and its still making the noise, could it be the inner cv joint? it only does it over 20mph turning left, so that wheel will be unloaded and dropping, putting more of a bend in the inner joint?

What are your thoughts?

EDIT:

can I swap the drive shafts as see if the noise goes? or moves to the other side?

I guess I should grab some new drive shaft hub nuts.

VCU support bearings?

Yeah - another possible, its just strange that it only happens on left turns above certain speeds. I guess its time to whip the prop shaft off and run her in 2wd for a while.

Need to fit the towbar later today, so will see what time I have left once that is done.

• 2 weeks later...