is my 200tdi in 4 wheel drive all the time

yogibear47.lee

diff lock off, front and rear axles are separately powered (if that makes sense), when diff lock is on, front and rear axles are essentially locked together.

as i understand it both axles are driven from the transfer box via an open diff with the facility to lock said diff. LR's have open diffs in the axles so the drive goes to the wheel with the least resistance.

So if on wet grass for example the drive could all go to 1 wheel, 1wd.

If the centre diff has been locked then there will be drive to 1 wheel per axle, 2wd.

It is only when the axles themselves have a locking diff fitted that you get true 4wd.

as i understand it both axles are driven from the transfer box via an open diff with the facility to lock said diff. LR's have open diffs in the axles so the drive goes to the wheel with the least resistance.

So if on wet grass for example the drive could all go to 1 wheel, 1wd.

If the centre diff has been locked then there will be drive to 1 wheel per axle, 2wd.

It is only when the axles themselves have a locking diff fitted that you get true 4wd.

Thank you Marcus - At last I understand why when I'm stuck in a soft rut on one side (down to the axles) I can't get out due to wheel spin on the side that's not stuck!

....and I thought it was a faulty t/box diff lock.

Would you mind explaining how you can achieve full 4wd on a Disco?

Can you get all axle lockers?

Yes you can. ARB Air-Lockers are a popular choice and one of the best, but reckon on a nasty hole in £1100 for two diffs and a compressor, not including fitting, and probably double that if you want to beef up halfshafts, CV joints, drive members etc to do a proper job.

Torque biasing diffs like a Detroit Truetrac are another option but not a full locker. I believe there's also a Detroit Electrac (?) which is a torque biasing diff which can be electrically locked, but I think you need to be sitting down when you check the price :unsure:

Check out http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_27.html for the ARBs and the Detroits are elsewhere on Ashcrofts site along with lots of other luvverly expensive things that I'll be spending that lotto win on :)