problem!! land rover plus tree!

Badger90

Well the dumb iron isn't in its first flash of youth!

if it were mine I'd drop a tube into the split hole weld it in grind down, a small patch repair over the bad one already there,

so I could refit a bumper and put it down to experience.

you'll be no worse off than where you started. Or this is the time to look at replacing the rusty sections.

Nothing a bit of repair time couldn't cure.

The one in the first set of pictures looks badly corroded- and has been poorly repaired at some point as well with a patch on the inside face. I would do a bit of digging with a screwdriver and really hack at the rust to see how far it is gone- worst case scenario it might need replacing because of the corrosion not the crash. Second one looks in better condition.

The one in the first set of pictures looks badly corroded- and has been poorly repaired at some point as well with a patch on the inside face. I would do a bit of digging with a screwdriver and really hack at the rust to see how far it is gone- worst case scenario it might need replacing because of the corrosion not the crash. Second one looks in better condition.

yeah thats what worryed me about that dumb iron.. i saw the patch..

as you said i will have dig about.. but all the chassis arms are inline i matched it with my mothers 90.

i think that patch was a home job.. iv only had this 2 years and it hasnt had any chassis work done.. apart from one of the out riggers needs patching.. or somthing.

there was sock that i keep in there for that job.. but he just didn't know it was there..

A sock :o , no wonder the windows steamed up :blink: .

Could'nt you have given him a glove to pick up the sock. And why only one sock, is the other sock in another vehicle or is it still in use.

A sock!, made me laugh. Pity about the bumper though :( .

haha that was a charity run at harper adams..

yeah thats probs why the bolt cut though.. i should be able to weld i a little bit of plate under whats been cut open.. but then is it worth it? how much work is it to change a dumb iron?

haven't replaced one myself, but others on here have, before deciding on new section, give these a good going over with a wire brush & a decent size screwdriver to find out how much work there's going to be, if it's only that top hole where the bumper bolt has ripped it, I'd just repair that & a few good coats of chassis paint should see it last a lot longer.

haven't replaced one myself, but others on here have, before deciding on new section, give these a good going over with a wire brush & a decent size screwdriver to find out how much work there's going to be, if it's only that top hole where the bumper bolt has ripped it, I'd just repair that & a few good coats of chassis paint should see it last a lot longer.

oh yeah ill have a look first.. but the dodgy patch work doesnt help haha

Have a look further back down the drivers side one as it looks like there is a corrosion hole on the top edge further back into the engine bay...

yeah i did notic that the morning i found out.. just though it was bit of rust.

i got the bumper off in the dark so i couldnt look properly will look again tomorrow and see if it is a crack

If he couldn't see he should've stopped.

Every morning on my way from work i see people driving along peering through an inch of clear screen.

It's dangerous and irresponsible. Period.

Coming out of Cambridge at about 8am this morning on the A603, a traffic police car had pulled over a car and one of the officers was taking pics of the car windows where there was about a 12" circular hole scraped into the ice on the windscreen on the drivers side, and two six inch areas scraped from the side windows where the mirrors were and a rear screen full of ice.

Going by the pics being taken, he was getting a ticket for it. I was thinking at the time that's a rare site to see someone pulled over for it, but good for them for giving him a ticket. I wonder what they were doing him for??

Cheers

Steve

Coming out of Cambridge at about 8am this morning on the A603, a traffic police car had pulled over a car and one of the officers was taking pics of the car windows where there was about a 12" circular hole scraped into the ice on the windscreen on the drivers side, and two six inch areas scraped from the side windows where the mirrors were and a rear screen full of ice.

Going by the pics being taken, he was getting a ticket for it. I was thinking at the time that's a rare site to see someone pulled over for it, but good for them for giving him a ticket. I wonder what they were doing him for??

Cheers

Steve

Due care and Attention I reckon Steve

i looked at the driver side dumb iron.. where western marked that rust patch and the chap the mentioned about the crack.. well there is a dirty great crack there. about 3/4 inch.. will it be worth patching up or considering the condition of the dumb iron changing it?

yeah im considering it.. but at £40-45 a pop pluss a good welder to do it as my welding isnt up to spec untill iv had ait more exearence. and i havent got a good enough welder.

the chassis are good.. and the out riggers are good.. apart from one has a tiny hole.. which can be patched..

but it will need doing because a winch bumper is going on and a winch anytime this year haha..

yeah i do use the jack holes alot.. the holes and the high lift have got me out some troubles i.e stuck to my axles at bures, changing a burse brake line at 1 in the morning down a green lane and changing wheels on the road..

ill be lost with out that jack lol..

anyother suggestions on the dumb iron? anyone think it might last a little longer?

If the dumbirons are paper thin in places I think I'd want to have a good tap around the rest of the chassis while I was at it.

its only that dumb iron thats in that sort of condition.. and i have had poke about the chassis.. it seems fine.. it just that dumb iron.. other isnt to bad.. seen better days but it must have anther 2years of life left..