Wheels Rubbing

Hey,

So the 90 came back from the MOt today with a long list of problems :( .

One of which is that the wheels are rubbing on the front, but thay are only 255/85 so why is this as i thought quite a lot of people fitted this size.

The power steering failed due to a failed seal- is this a rebuil?

offside drag link end ball joint has excessive play, as do both tie rod bars- what should I do about these?

What is the nearside service brake?

Thanks

Pete

Yes, lots of people fit 255 x 85, but they also adjust their lock stops so they don't rub on the radius arms! Amount of adjustment will depend on wheel offset.

TRE's - they are not serviceable items so should be replaced - ideally with ones with grease nipples. They are usually a pain to get out of the old steering bars. If your steering bars are standard then now might be the ideal opportunity to upgrade to some Sumo bars whilst replacing the TRE's at the same time.

Service brake is a term for your normal brakes so there is obviously a problem somewhere there but your post doesn't give much info on that one...

Hey,

So the 90 came back from the MOt today with a long list of problems :( .

One of which is that the wheels are rubbing on the front, but thay are only 255/85 so why is this as i thought quite a lot of people fitted this size. SAme size as mine, adjust the steering stops on front of each swivel housing

The power steering failed due to a failed seal- is this a rebuil? Might get away with a seal replacement, if not a rebuilt box

offside drag link end ball joint has excessive play, as do both tie rod bars- what should I do about these? offside drag link joint is the drop arm ball joint replace this, not sure what they mean but tie rod bars -- might be the axle to chassis arms aka radius arms or the track rod joints on the rod behind the axle replace any worn joints bushes

What is the nearside service brake? each wheel brake or the park brake is often called a service brake

Thanks

Pete

My notes in RED ^^^^ :D

fromt hub seal is fairly easy, see the tech archive index I thibk Les H has a 'how to' thread there about front bearings. if it's swing to the right under braking the left caliper is not working correctly, sounds like the pistons are stuck & not moving & maybe the pads are worn out on that side.

Pulling to one side could be the caliper on that side binding (almost siezed), or the caliper on the opposite side not working. If the tester just drove your truck to check the brakes, then there are other things that could cause this problem.

Trying to fix a leaky PAS box rarely works (at least for any length of time). You may be better off replacing it with a recon unit.

Hub seal - do you mean the swivel seal, the big one that circles the swivel ball? - oil or grease will be leaking off the bottom of the swivel ball close to the inside of the tyre. Hub seal would cause grease or oil to leak onto the brake disc. Oil or grease on the outside of the wheel is either the hub cap or the drive member gasket.

Les.

Yes it is the swivel seal and oil/grease has contaminated the brake disk.

What parts do I need to replace this swivel seal?

Whats the part number for a new drag arm ball joint?

Is this a replace or just a clean of the disk?

Would buying sumo bars sort the tie rod bars having ecessive playin pin/bush and the loacting pin being insecure?

Where can i get these from I hvae found them on gwyn lewis's site but not sure which bits I need here?

What should I do about the nearside wheel bearing having excessive play?

Thanks

Pete

Replacing the swivel seal parts depends on which way you do it - strip the whole front wheel assembly right down to the axle tube, split the seal and fit it with no other dismantling work, or remove the whole wheel assembly from the axle tube - requiring removal of the caliper and disconnection of the steering, then undo the swivel ball-to-axle tube bolts - the whole assembly will then come off the axle.

A drop arm ball joint comes in kit form and can be fitted on or off the vehicle.

On - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14338

Off - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=10088

'Excessive play in a pin/bush' doesn't relate to steering components - it relates to things such as radius arm/panhard rod bushes. Drag link and link rod TRE's would come under a steering fault.

The wheel bearing can be adjusted, so you may not have to replace it. Adjust the bearing, then spin the wheel. If it runs smooth, then it's ok, but if if spins roughly, then the bearings and seal have to be replaced.

Adjusting a wheel bearing-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7969

Replacing a wheel bearing-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=8009

Les.

Yes and yes.

Although other parts may be required - depending on how you go about replacing the seal - just gaskets though. The seal retaining plate may be rotten and need replacing at the same time. The M6 bolts that retain it are a bit delicate, so be careful how you undo them.

Les.

It normally just requires replacing a bush and perhaps the bolt that passes through it.

Radius arm (hockey stick) perhaps, but more likely the panhard rod or anti-roll bar link.

Anti roll bar link -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=18731

Panhard rod bushes -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=30168

Les.