Steamy Clocks!

Glue

Evening all,

Now what passed for catastrophic snow in Coventry has gone, I'm left with a problem. The dash gauges start to steam up internally after about 400 yards and are completely unreadable after a mile or so. Tonight I've had to do about 15 miles before they cleared again.

Does anyone have any suggestions why this happens and how to solve it, or is just another "landrover thing"?

Glue

I've had that, you could drill a vent hole in the back or side of the gauges so the gauge can dry out.

it happens becuase as the guage is in use & therefore electricity heats up, the gauge warms up & the surrounding cold air cause the condensation in the gauge, once the vehicles interior is warmed to the same temp, this causes the condensation to clear.

Thats a daily thing for me too. Although the speedo is fine to read and I don't trust the temp gauge, the fuel gauge doesn't work properly and I never quite figured out what voltage the white line is on the charge gauge so they're all fairly useless anyway...

I actually found totally blocking up the passengers side windscreen blower helps, also it means some of the air actually get to the drivers side of the windscreen now instead of clearing the passengers side in seconds and leaving me wiping for 5 minutes.

I thought it was a design feature from Land Rover so that I couldn't always see the fuel gauge slipping towards empty all the time....

I just tend to ignore it now, mainly because it's not my main car and I've got used to it as a feature of my 110....

Neil

It's a land Rover thing.....................

Even worse with a V8, steaming hot bulkhead, cold wet gauges!

Just like not being able to read the trip mileage when it gets dark because the gauge illumination is rubbish.

But I love my LR :lol:

If you're really bothered about it, how about taking the gauges apart and using some WD40 on the inside of the "glass". A light coating of it will stop water staying on it. Alternatively Rainex or one of the hundreds of snake oil products that are supposed to stop your visor steaming up on a full face helmet. During my biking yoof I was always told that washing up liquid was a good way of stopping things steaming up although I don't recall it ever working for me :)

The fuel gauge always seems to be the worst offender for this, no idea why but if only one steams up it's always the fuel gauge !

Don't seal your Land Rover up too tight - the doors won't close properly if you seal up all the holes due to air pressure !

Don't seal your Land Rover up too tight - the doors won't close properly if you seal up all the holes due to air pressure !

Sounds like the old Avro Shackleton.

Partly pressurised, there were more holes in the front than in the back.

Or

A million rivets flying in loose formation.

Cheers

SPD