200tdi upgraded turbo

russ1

Hello people

Am rebuilding my challange truck, am looking to adjust me fuel pump and i have a big front mount cooler fitted.

My standard turbo is past its best so was thinking about upgrading it ( will be making a better exhaust manifold ) but not sure what

to go for,

Have been looking at turbos from a td5, t3 ( off a rs turbo ) merc sprinter etc.

Has anyone upgraded a turbo on a 200tdi? what did you go for?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Russ

Hello people

Am rebuilding my challange truck, am looking to adjust me fuel pump and i have a big front mount cooler fitted.

My standard turbo is past its best so was thinking about upgrading it ( will be making a better exhaust manifold ) but not sure what

to go for,

Have been looking at turbos from a td5, t3 ( off a rs turbo ) merc sprinter etc.

Has anyone upgraded a turbo on a 200tdi? what did you go for?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Russ

Don't know if you want new or used - but:

I do a hybrid for a 200Tdi - is based on the larger T28 with a few mods ;) ....

Is £575 + vat

It bolts straight on, no messing with oil pipework, intercooler pipe work etc etc.

Ian

Is £575 + vat

It bolts straight on, no messing with oil pipework, intercooler pipe work etc etc.

Ian

Hi Ian can you give me some details on your hybrid turbo for a 200tdi sounds like what i might be looking for .

Cheers

AL

It was told to me that the VM diesel turbo should give better performance. Or you can try the VNT turbo off an HS 2.8 TGV engine? Should fit the 300Tdi, not sure about the 200 though.

This may be a daft question but whats a VM diesel?

What other cars truck etc come with a VNT turbo?

Many thanks

Learn somthing new every day!

Been looking at vnt turbos, would be nice if you could get one that already has a way of opening closing the vaines without all the bother

that some people on here are having.

Would be making a tubular manifold for it to.

Russ

Is £575 + vat

Ian

Ian what BHP difference would you be looking at?

Hi Ian can you give me some details on your hybrid turbo for a 200tdi sounds like what i might be looking for .

Cheers

AL

Ian what BHP difference would you be looking at?

It depends what other mods you make....

The benefit with of the hybrid turbo (apart from boosting faster) is that you can run more boost without the turbo becoming inefficient. Much more than 16psi and the Land Rover T25 starts going outside of it recommended working range as you are overspeeding the turbo.

With a hybrid runinng about 18 - 20 psi of boost, a full size efficient intercooler, a proper exhast - and more improtantly fuelling to match you will be seeing over a genuine 145bhp - which isn't a bad gain from the standard 107 or 111bhp depending on engine version.

Running the above boost pressures, you do need to make sure your head gasket is in good condition.... my own 200Tdi Defender used to run 18/19psi all day long and for over 40,000 miles.

With a little bit of porting work on the head (removing casting lumps on a 200Tdi) you will end up with good power and torque.

I will be working on a Variable Vain Turbo for 200 and 300Tdi - once the one we've designed for Td5 is finally finished!!!

I have actually got a VNT that would bolt straight onto a 200Tdi already.... ;) but is technically unproven.

Ian

I will be working on a Variable Vain Turbo for 200 and 300Tdi - once the one we've designed for Td5 is finally finished!!!

I have actually got a VNT that would bolt straight onto a 200Tdi already.... ;) but is technically unproven.

Ian

Do you have a way of getting a VNT to work with out all the problems that other people are having?

Have been having a good look around and see some of the are controlled by the cars ecu.

What am looking for is one that works its self ( if you know what i mean)

russ

VNTs can be directly boost controlled. That is how the HS2.8 does it.

If you do get that bolt on 200TDI VNT done, make sure you let us know. I would be very interested.

What mods are you doing to the pump to control the high boost? In my testing the boost plunger bottoms out around 13 psi. Are you needing to install a larger spring and reset all of the fueling?

• 6 years later...

The point of VNT is not to increast maximum boost but to increase the engine rpm range across which it is attained, particularly the low rpm range. The 2.8 TGV engine achieves peak toque at 1400rpm as opposed to the Tdis' 1800rpm due to the VNT, if I remember correctly.

The point of VNT is not to increast maximum boost but to increase the engine rpm range across which it is attained, particularly the low rpm range. The 2.8 TGV engine achieves peak toque at 1400rpm as opposed to the Tdis' 1800rpm due to the VNT, if I remember correctly.

Fuel pump mods as well as the VNT.