What winch is recommended?

Tomas4x4

Hello all,

Im in the market for a winch to put on my 300tdi disco, but theres a lot out there and was wondering what is recommended? I'll be using it for winching myself out and for work to drag logs about, so I want a decent one with plenty of pull. What makes are the best, warn, superwinch? and what pull rating, would 9000lb be sufficient, or more like 12000lb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Tom.

Hello all,

Im in the market for a winch to put on my 300tdi disco, but theres a lot out there and was wondering what is recommended? I'll be using it for winching myself out and for work to drag logs about, so I want a decent one with plenty of pull. What makes are the best, warn, superwinch? and what pull rating, would 9000lb be sufficient, or more like 12000lb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Tom.

There are a lot of variables like budget....TDS goldfish gets a good review. there are larger winches, warn 8274 for example that is used as a front winch in challenges etc. Then there are mounting issues. Winch bumpers or weld/ bolt in tray.

So i'd start with a budget, work out what else you need like winch mount / fairleads/ cable rope etc.

If it for logs and the odd self recovery then this would do me http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/pdf/tds%20priced.pdf

This topic has been seen a fair few times recently on the forum.

General concensus seems to be that the 9.5 TDS from Goodwinch takes some beating- especially at the price. It is where my money would be heading if I needed a electric winch.

My personal favorite is the Milemarker Hydraulic but that is not a cheep option... or quick in its basic form!!!

If you are after speed then look at an 8274, or an uprated Milemarker hydraulic system.