head gasket gone in petrol engine should i change to deisel

chris24

hi i am a new member so hi to every one , i have had a freelander for two months s reg 2 door sport 1.8i petrol, the head gasket is starting to go i dont no whether to change engines to deisel , or is it more cost efective to get head done . the rest of the 4x4 is in mint condition great to drive just the engine problem if you could help it would be great thanks.

hi i am a new member so hi to every one , i have had a freelander for two months s reg 2 door sport 1.8i petrol, the head gasket is starting to go i dont no whether to change engines to deisel , or is it more cost efective to get head done . the rest of the 4x4 is in mint condition great to drive just the engine problem if you could help it would be great thanks.

Would have thought it would be best to get the petrol engine repaired. To change to the L Series diesel would be a big job and you'll need the engine and all ancilleries inc loom, ecu, alternator & vacum pump, exhaust plus a whole load more. The final drive in the gearbox is different altho I think it physically fits, but the ratios may be unsuitable.

The TD4 would be even more, definitely new gearbox and IRD box as well as all the above

As has been said, I would just do the head work. replace the gasket with the genuine LR item, and ensure the locating dowels are metal not plastic.

As I understand it, it is not a huge job, but I would do it sooner rather than later as continued use with a blown gasket can do further damage to the engine.

Mark