300tdi defender cam belt issue

hli all (Me AGAIN!

I have recently had a 300tdi cam belt mod kit fitted to my defender as it still had the plastic idler etc.

about lunchtime i received a call for the garage/my m8! to inform me one of the new tensioners/idlers had seized and melted the new belt!!!

what or whay has caused this , chriss from mm4x4 assures me its a fitting fault but after the recent ere events im not so sure

i am assuming that all the 300's need the mod doing at some stage. mine is a 1996

please guys just want to get here back on the road lol!!!!

thanks all

jack.

Seen something like this a new kit was bought and someone not use to landrover TDIs fitted it, the results a melted/broken belt and seized tensioner and one sad engine.

Problem new parts and old parts were different, as in different methods of manufacture one had a spacer/washer the other did not and did not need it but it was used !!! and when the timing cover was bolted on it locked the tensioner solid. The engine ran for about 5 minutes and then bang wallop.

A couple of years ago, Bearmach had a duff batch of tensioners that had been made with no grease in them, which siezed fairly quickly. The only way you could cause this type of failure yourself would be to massively over-tension the belt, which would howl horrendously with the engine running.

'Fitting fault' has that all too familiar bad smell to it.

Can't beat Bearmach kits, they are by far the best of the lot.

Les.

Seen something like this a new kit was bought and someone not use to landrover TDIs fitted it, the results a melted/broken belt and seized tensioner and one sad engine.

Problem new parts and old parts were different, as in different methods of manufacture one had a spacer/washer the other did not and did not need it but it was used !!! and when the timing cover was bolted on it locked the tensioner solid. The engine ran for about 5 minutes and then bang wallop.

that is exactly what mm4x4 told me.

ill have to look into that further

thanks allot

jack