Seat Change

I have just picked up a 2001 doublecab defender and was keen to change the front seats to something a little more comfortable. I have the mechanical skills of the average zebra so something that would be a fairly easy swap is required. Just to make it more difficult I'm 6'4" so need to consider leg room as well and no I don't do self surgery!

Any suggestion would be great

I think it'd be worth looking at Mud Stuff seat rails which move the seat up a tad, and further back. they're easy to fit and will help with leg room.

Swapping seats is not quite as simple as it first seems, as most car seats are far deeper, fitting them is likely to cause your thighs to foul on the steering wheel. Of course, you could fit a smaller one to get around that problem.

Get a good set of second hand range rover classic seats.

I did for £30 and they have transformed longer journeys in my defender so that i can get out of the car without being really stiff now. The runners are the same width apart as the defender ones but are not as long, so you either have to drill new holes for the back holes of the runners - or i mounted them on a frame that bolted into the old holes. I have the seat base tilted back as far as it goes and my thighs don't rub on the steering wheel. If the seat base is flat, my thighs are nowhere near the wheel. You will lose the middle seat if you do this as the armrests make them too wide to keep this, but i am going to custom build a cubby box into mine so this wasn't an issue.

Depends how much you want to spend really. As Luke has suggested the Mud Stuff rails are a very good start, and the defender seats, if in good condition, are actually pretty good. If not, then have a look at exmoor trim for a wide variety of good replacements, but at a price...

If you want to try the RRC seats out I have 2 sat on the patio at the rear of our house you can have if you can take them away ! I used to use them in my Defender and, as far as I can remember, they still have the extended runners on them that I made up.

No location in your profile so no idea where you are !

I had RRC seats in my 110, I'm only 5'9'' and my head used to rub against the headlining.

I took them out after about a month, gave them away and put the original 110 ones back in.

Ade

Thats funny. I'm 6' and have tons of room. I wonder what we'd done differently.. I think its the best thing i've done apart from the tdi conversion!

We recently fitted a pair of these to the front of my Missus' 90. A simple 10 minute swap over. (I took the opportunity to fit a set of heated seat pads to them beforehand - toasty!)

I'm 6'2" and have no comfort issues when driving it, however, hers is a 50th Defender so it already has the bulkhead removed which allows the seat to be slid and tilted back a touch further.