'Allmakes' T-seals on 200 & 300tdi crank cap

Hi there, just got to replacing the main bearing shells after lots of checking and measuring. The block(200tdi)gasket pack I bought here in sweden was an allmakes product.

The T-seals that line inside the rear and widest bearing cap are not cork but a strange soft gritty rubber compound?

I've had a pig of a job getting the cap to slide in place. Don't want to slip at this stage.

Tried cutting the required amount off, but the rubber blunts a scalpel blade in about two seconds!

Should I try and find a genuine cork seal set or should I use the sealant(stc611) technique?

That is the squeezing sealant down the gaps where the seals should have been, and then quickly putting the ladderframe on.

do you have the Defender workshop manual ? if not here's the section from that manual, the drawing shows 'cork' seals, last block gasket kit I bought was a Elring make & if you need a set of cork type seals, I still have them in as new condition, can post them over if you want them.

here they are :D

File0078.pdf

post-20-1234620192_thumb.jpg

Edited by western

do you have the Defender workshop manual ? if not here's the section from that manual, the drawing shows 'cork' seals, last block gasket kit I bought was a Elring make & if you need a set of cork type seals, I still have them in as new condition, can post them over if you want them.

here they are :D

I found this article in an improvements section, and stripping my block showed the same technique? Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to send just the one page :unsure: But seeing all the workshop manuals from turbo diesels through to 300s it shows the use of cork?

I've got a selection of workshop manuals on cd-rom but have to fill in the blanks occasionally looking at old turbo diesel data and 300tdi data.

I am though very interested in the offer to get some new seals, as you're feeling so generous! Thanks very much ;) I take it we should start the bargaining process.

LR_1988_model_improvements.pdf

I've used the rubber type in the past, and they are harder to fit/trim. The problem with cork is that it eventually shrinks, so will inevitably leak. The rubber type doesn't shrink, but goes rock solid. I would still use cork though, and I did with my 300TDi engine. Payen set has the cork type in it.

Les.

My only reservation on the Hylosil is any air bubbles that my occur when it is injected, or will it force out all of the air?

A question I have, can you replace the t-seals while the engine and trans are in place or will this knacker the O-ring between the block and transmission adapter plate?

Cheers,

Chris