Disco 200tdi Timing belt change

Hi guys,

Has anyone come across this problem?

I have decided to change my timing belt and have finally managed to get the timing cover off.

I have locked injection pump with drill bit and camshaft lines up with mark on timing plate.

But Crankshaft marking is showing TDC as around 10 - 11 oclock.

I was expecting this to be at 12oclock! How is this engine able to run??? This appears to be a few teeth out!

I have not had chance to look where the flywheel slot is but looking from the front it doesnt look promising!

(I am at work at the mo so cant check).

Any initial thoughts?

Cheers.

As Ralph sais the woodruff key is at 12 oclock and the TDC mark looks as if its at 11 oclock (noticed that on my rebuild)

Check with the workshop manual, I think it shows the dimple on the crank sprocket at 12 (inline with the woodruff key) when the pump and cam sprockets are in line with their marks.

HTH Cheers

G

Edited : Confirmed on page 68 of supplemental book 6 of Land Rover Workshop Manual. Tried to save off page for you but the forum wouldnt let me upload it.

If the old belt has slack in it, then it may be between the crank and cam - especially if you centred it by turning the crank the opposite way (anti-clockwise). The engine just wouldn't run if it really was 2-teeth out - advanced would hit the valves, and retarded would mean it wouldn't start. I replaced the timing belt on a 300TDi today, and because I set the crank at TDC by turning it the opposite way, it put the cam out by 1.5 teeth. This is why the timing has to be set after the old belt has been removed and checked again when the new belt is on. Always turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation - clockwise. If your woodruff key/slot is badly worn - causing the problem you describe, then at tickover the engine would run very badly (chattering noise). Camshaft woodruff keys have been knows to shear as well, which would put the timing out, so check that too. I believe Ralph had this problem.

Les.

As Ralph sais the woodruff key is at 12 oclock and the TDC mark looks as if its at 11 oclock (noticed that on my rebuild)

Check with the workshop manual, I think it shows the dimple on the crank sprocket at 12 (inline with the woodruff key) when the pump and cam sprockets are in line with their marks.

HTH Cheers

G

Edited : Confirmed on page 68 of supplemental book 6 of Land Rover Workshop Manual. Tried to save off page for you but the forum wouldnt let me upload it.

scan & save as a .pdf or jpeg file then you can upload direct from your PC using the attachments loader.

Les H -- Camshaft woodruff keys have been knows to shear as well, which would put the timing out, so check that too. I believe Ralph had this problem.

was actually a loose cam pulley bolt but it wrecked the woodruff key slot in the end of the cam & the key.