overdrive fitting gaskets...

reb78

post-12362-1234624412_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Quick bit if advice to tell me what i think i already know! The pic is of the gasket where the overdrive i am fitting meets the transfer box. It has ripped and squeezed out as i torqued up the plate (to the specified torque). Do you reckon this will be ok or should i do what i think i need to do and pull the whole lot off and replace it? As i'm sure you can see from the photo. There is gasket sealant (prob too much) in there as well.

Thanks in advance

if it's not letting any oil out, it'll probably be fine, but if you decide to replace, you need to talk to Devon4x4 as they hold the spares now that GKN have stopped making these overdrive units.

Was hoping you were on here.........

I've only just put it on there as this will be the first time the vehicles had an overdrive. I noticed it just after fitting the main unit! Guess i shall take it out later and keep an eye on it over the next few days. I've got a feeling the sealant will fill any gaps, but i just hate it when things like this tear! On with the wiring now then!

you struck lucky then :D

when mine came of to change the clutch recently, I refitted it using silicone sealant, no paper gaskets now, so reckon yours maybe fine.

Cheers. I'll give it a go and see. I can always whip it off and forget about the gaskets completely then.

where are you fitting the little control box, mines under the drivers seat on the inner wall of the tool stowage near the front end of that stowage, wiring comes out of a cable hole that my vehicle phone uses, then along the front of the cubbybox & panel ,under the mat to the gear lever & under the centre panel to soleniod & earth point on to one of the OD's adaptor bolts.

photo's of fitting my GKN OD unit here

where are you fitting the little control box, mines under the drivers seat on the inner wall of the tool stowage near the front end of that stowage, wiring comes out of a cable hole that my vehicle phone uses, then along the front of the cubbybox & panel ,under the mat to the gear lever & under the centre panel to soleniod & earth point on to one of the OD's adaptor bolts.

photo's of fitting my GKN OD unit here

I was going to stick it on the dash above the fusebox, but will have a look at putting it in the tool box. What did you splice into for the power supply? I was going to run it off of the power to the indicators and dash lamps.

If I remember right, the instructions say to use rtv sealant as well as the gasket. The inner and outer part of the O/D are prone to leaking, as that particular area is even without an O/D fitted. If you just use gaskets, then it's most likely to leak, so always use rtv as well.

Les.

Control box on mine is in the battery box. I took the power supply from a spare plug at the back of the bulkhead fuse box, didn't have to cut anything, it took a standard spade connector.

Devon 4x4 definitely have the gaskets, just replaced the bearings in mine so had to get a set.

Thanks for all the advice guys. The instructions do say to use sealant which i did - so hopefully any gaps left by the torn gasket will be filled by that. It doesn;t seem to be leaking at the moment but will keep an eye on it.

The overdrive itself is great. Really reduces the motorway revs - much more pleasant at 70mph now. It does seem a little clunky when switching it off (its fine wnen engaging the OD) but I guess this requires me getting used to when to turn it off/on etc.

I screwed the control unit to the front of the fusebox cover in the end. The wiring runs up to the gear lever and then uner the carpet to the control unit.

"Should be" and "does do" are very different on my truck....

I don't like the clunks I get what ever I do when changing down... Power on is deffo a strange idea when slowing down into a junction. (Well It is with the V8 pulling like a train....) Hence I dip the clutch.. No hassle, easy and comes naturally changing gear..

What ever floats your boat I guess....

Neil