waterproof starter motor

TOM TOM GO

hi everyone. been working on my 90 starter moter was dead. had a job to clean all the wires full of carp and oil. put once i cleaned it all up working ok now. but was thinking has any the members got any tips to seal the wires up with something to keep it dry and clean . i thort of a rubber boot of some sort to go over all the wires and seal them in keeping the muck out. has anyone else know of something that would work. :blink:

I'd be inclined to think that trying to waterproof one will inevitably hold muck in rather than keep it out - this would lead to faster corrosion.

I would clean it all up, but don't use any lube in putting it together - grease tends to hold onto muck which then turns into a paste.

thanks for advice. i have cleaned it all up. you think you could get a rubber cover to go over the wires to keep them dry.

Wires don't care about being wet, what will cause problems is if they're left covered in crud so everything can corrode and deteriorate. Basic maintenance (cleaning it and then giving deserving parts a bit of WD40 / grease as required) should keep things working fine. I've never had a problem with starters that are underwater, as Mr Morfee says if you seal it you'll usually only seal crud in.

Wires don't care about being wet, what will cause problems is if they're left covered in crud so everything can corrode and deteriorate. Basic maintenance (cleaning it and then giving deserving parts a bit of WD40 / grease as required) should keep things working fine. I've never had a problem with starters that are underwater, as Mr Morfee says if you seal it you'll usually only seal crud in.

hi just keep it clean as part of my sevice. been working great now. thanks

I've never had a problem with starters that are underwater,

You really need to spend more time underwater, fridge.

When it was seeing hard use the tdi would do a bosch starter every 4 months or so, a presolite one would be lucky to see more than a few events.

Ask rog about his experiances trying to get v8 ones to live the only solution he's found is to use a mean green one and even that's on it's second rebuild.

No electrical component that is expected to work under dirty water, whilst expanding and contracting as it heats up and is then rapidly cooled can be expected to live a long and happy life.

I just buy decent quality stuff and hope for the best. without being suprised when i dies in the most inconveinient of places.