TD5 oil light

Grant.

Hi All,

The oil light came on on my td5 today, however all was not what it seemed...

I pulled over immediately and checked the oil, it was full as I always monitor the oil knowing how important it is!!!

I drove it back to my friends house (300 yards away) where we listened more closely to a very distinct clicking noise, coming from the top end when idle and it was more apparent when a little bit of revs were given.....

First thought was oil pump, however was wondering if any one else could shed light on it?

And even though it was a maximum distance of about 800 yards driving with the light on, could I have damaged anything else?? Just wanting to be extra cautious as I really cant absorb a large bill at the moment!!! :(

Also does anyone have a part number for a td5 oil pump, its a 2001 July reg, cant remember the chassis number off the top of my head.

Any one able to shed light on the subject??

Thanks in advance

Grant

I hope for your sake it isn't the typical lack of loctite on the oil pump sprocket bolt.

A number here have failed with catastrophic consequences (and are still failing), some that are checked are loose, some are tight and have no loctite, many are OK.

A major stuff up by Land Rover.

i would of thought it was the oil pump unlikey to have failed so probably just come loose. personally i wouldnt drive it any further. drain the oil, drop the sump, refit the oil pump with loctite, refit, refill and cross fingers.

Hi Guys,

Thankfully I literally drove it a maximum of 800 yards, most of that on idle as the sight of an oil light on is scary business :lol:

Hopefully the garage it is at will know what is wrong with it by tomorrow evening, fingers crossed.

I also hope however it is the thread locking mistake on the oil pump sprocket, however tomorrow is D-Day....

And Jack, I owe you big time buddy!!!! :)

Cheers

Grant

It is also possible that the clacking was a quite normal sound you / I hadn't picked up on before and it's a wiring fault... wishful thinking maybe but still a possibility!

Does the non-loctiting of sprocket bolt TD5 affect disco's as well?

Grant, you're quite welcome to break down on my driveway again any time, its no hassle! ;)

It is also possible that the clacking was a quite normal sound you / I hadn't picked up on before and it's a wiring fault... wishful thinking maybe but still a possibility!

Does the non-loctiting of sprocket bolt TD5 affect disco's as well?

Grant, you're quite welcome to break down on my driveway again any time, its no hassle! ;)

:lol:

Im going to guess this is you phelpsy!!

If it is remember that noise wasnt there on your disco when we ran that next to my 110

Also I am guessing anything of similar age to mine ( like your disco) might have the same problem, however I am no expert...

Spoke to my friend at the garage earlier this evening, he was changing the oil pressure switch incase it was just my ears and doing an oil pressure test, however I am adiment that its not the switch at fault! as I have never heard that noise before on any other TD5!!

Cheers

Grant

Tis me! Thought I ought to sign up what with having a Landy in the family now :P

The rattle definitely wasnt there on the disco, but then that had been up to temperature on a run shortly before and has only done 41k compared to your 111k!

Best leave it up to your man to fiddle around if he's a trustworthy guy, hopefully it won't be too bad... let me know if you need a hand with owt, must be due a trip up to yours shortly with hodsy :)

Hi all,

Thought I might give an update on the situation...

Spoke to my mechanic, the bolt had come loose, however....

The hole for the bolt in the pump has also been stripped of threads, so hes saying that it will require a new pump, however I know that its going to be an expensive part and I know that labour is going to be pricey, so does anyone else think that it might be possible just to re tap the hole a larger size, re drill the sprocket accordingly and re fit with a larger bolt or is there not enough material to do so??

Thanks

Grant

It's a bit difficult to say without knowing what the pump looks like and what the material the thread is in is like, but a cut thread is a) not as strong as a rolled thread and b ) is a bitch to get straight.

Know of any landy breakers near you? Find a nice 2nd hand one and make sure its all secure!

hey m8!

i tend to agree tapping that kind of hardened material would be id say almost impossibe without a lathe!!

Without a lathe you say???? Hmm....

Spoke to Steve/mechanic, and the actual shaft was so badly damaged and the hole was so severely damaged that it had turned oval i think, so even if a thread was re cut it would still not be as strong!

He went ahead and ordered a new shiny one, it had done 111,000 miles and its better for peace of mind.

Hopefully will have it back for Tixover and the 4x4 show this weekend!!!! ( fingers crossed)

Cheers

Grant