Tube notchers! opinions, recomendations on a budget!

Steve 90

Ive been looking around for something quick and easy. I can use the milling machine but its a bit of a pain walking from the truck to the mill 200 times a day when doing fab work, Specially when you have to climb in amongst the tube work every time to try something. Also when using the mill its a PITA to alter the angles if its not a 90 deg joint. The finished product however is brilliant.

So I was looking for something I could mount on a bench or vice much closer to the truck and much quicker to setup.

Unfortunately, I don't think im going to find anything, All the ones I see look far to flimsy and I very much doubt that they will work that great.

Found a few similar to this but not overly impressed with the look of it.

Cheap Ebay tube notcher??

Anybody got any opinions?????

Or recommendations of something that works well???

Cheers.

Steve.

I have one from JL industrial, its made by Chester and has worked fine making my cage.

There current list price is £63.50 so a lot cheaper than those you listed, probable not the strongest construction but its stood up to a fair amount of abuse.

There web site is www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk and it is on page 1561 of there cataloge, always had good fast service from them so far as well, they are geared up to sell to machine shops and so far have always delivered with in a couple of days.

Worth having a look through there special offers and sales fliers (available as pdf's on there site) as they often have the notcher reduced.

I have one from JL industrial, its made by Chester and has worked fine making my cage.

There current list price is £63.50 so a lot cheaper than those you listed, probable not the strongest construction but its stood up to a fair amount of abuse.

There web site is www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk and it is on page 1561 of there cataloge, always had good fast service from them so far as well, they are geared up to sell to machine shops and so far have always delivered with in a couple of days.

Worth having a look through there special offers and sales fliers (available as pdf's on there site) as they often have the notcher reduced.

Clicky

www.mscjlindustrial.co.uk - 1561

Marc.

Funnily enough we use J&L quite a bit and im using their latest special offer sheet as a mouse matt :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Didn't even think about them, Doh!!!!. Will have a look now!!

I am using the same tool. I got mine from HERE.

Once I had exchanged it for one that was made properly :ph34r: it works absolutely fine. As the shaft only runs on a bush it is not for the pro fabricator, but it'll do a couple or three cages I would have thought.

I had to shim the pipe clamp away from the mounting plate to get the holes central on the tube, but for the money I would recommend it.

If you are just doing your own and really want to keep costs down i found a vise and a Pillar drill with a hole cutter. did the job but was slow.

If i was going to do cages regularly then i'd invest in a good couple of hundred quid job notcher. But to be fair the pillar drill and vise did well.

I've just bought a JD2 TN100 to go with my JD2 Model 3 bender - I bought it through Tubela and the price wasn't terrible (about the same as the first ebay one). It's not arrived yet but the quality does look good. I would have quite liked the Notch Master but Tubela don't stock it, I don't really need offset notching (and if I do I can set it up in the pillar drill) and so it wasn't worth the wait.

I totally agree you want something easy and quick to use especially if you're doing a lot of tube work.