300tdi Lift Pump

bigrob

I've got a '96 300tdi auto with edc, which is lovely...apart from having the power of a new-born Shetland foal, matched with the fuel consumption of a Boeing 707!

Oh yes, and it's a sod to start from cold too!

So anyway...yesterday, I happened to notice that the lift pump was leaking from around the swaged central joint, and when the lever was operated, there was no resistance at all, so it had to go.

A new pump was fitted (eventually...those olives don't like to be held down!) and...no difference!

Well, it doesn't leak, but there's no resistance on the lever and when the bleed plug on the filter is opened, nothing comes out. I've turned the engine over a couple of revolutions, and at no point did the lever start to work.

With the engine running on the new pump, I opened the bleed screw on the filter, and fuel (with a few bubbles in it) dribbled out.

So, anybody any ideas what's going on?

I've got a '96 300tdi auto with edc, which is lovely...apart from having the power of a new-born Shetland foal, matched with the fuel consumption of a Boeing 707!

So anyway...yesterday, I happened to notice that the lift pump was leaking from around the swaged central joint, and when the lever was operated, there was no resistance at all, so it had to go.

A new pump was fitted (eventually...those olives don't like to be held down!) and...no difference!

Well, it doesn't leak, but there's no resistance on the lever and when the bleed plug on the filter is opened, nothing comes out. I've turned the engine over a couple of revolutions, and at no point did the lever start to work.

With the engine running on the new pump, I opened the bleed screw on the filter, and fuel (with a few bubbles in it) dribbled out.

The pump needs to be at the correct position on the cam, before the manual lever will operate. Turn the engine by hand a few degrees at a time, 'till you can feel resistance on the manual lever

Can you feel resistance on the old pump when you operate the lever ?

One thing that I have learnt, rather spend a few extra quid on an original LR pump, than aftermarket pumps, which appear to have a very short working life. The aftermarket ones tend to break the link from the manual lever to the diaphragm.

Broken lift pumps have various effects. My last experience was that the engine would miss and stutter when cold, untill the main pump managed to suck fuel from the tank. Thereafter it would be OK

I turned the engine slowly by hand, while continually trying the lever on the pump. I did 2 complete revolutions to make sure the camshaft went all the way round!

At no point was there any resistance to moving the lever, or anything coming out of the filter bleed.

Strangely, after I took the old pump off, I was giving the lever a bit of a wiggling...and it started to pump again (giving me a coating of diesel in the process!)

It's almost as if the operating lever is slightly too long so that it's permanently half open and the hand lever doesn't work, but there's no lobe on the camshaft to actually do any pumping!

In my experience a failed lift pump stopped the engine going altogether.

Have you checked for air leaks twixt the tank and the lift pump? Or checked the sedimenter for jelly like goo blocking it up?