3.5efi not starting....

flatback90

mate parked his '89 rrc yesterday and when he came back it would'nt start it spins over very fast and has a good spark. now thing is he took the dizzy cap off and had a fiddle with the rotor arm and by his own admission turned it by hand with the cap off. will that affect anything or not? i went out today and had a look at the thing for him and all i could deduce was the fuel pump didnt seem to be running when the ignition was on. even the relay under the drivers seat wasnt clicking, checked the fuse and it was ok, got under the tank and got him to turn the ign on still nothing? any ideas or is the fuel pump in the tank buggered??

Doesn't fit with any of his tinkering, but just to eliminate the easy fixes first - check the fuel cut off inertia switch under the back of the passenger seat. Can't remember if it should be up or down (I think down), but try both, it might have been knocked. Also check the appropriate fuse.

Doesn't fit with any of his tinkering, but just to eliminate the easy fixes first - check the fuel cut off inertia switch under the back of the passenger seat. Can't remember if it should be up or down (I think down), but try both, it might have been knocked. Also check the appropriate fuse.

hmm never even knew there was such a thing...

An 89 3.5 would be a flapper, the 3.9 came with hotwire in the RRC, unless it's been changed over of course !

If it's a flapper the fuel pump only runs under certain conditions and won't run when you turn the ignition on, unlike on the later hotwire EFi.

There is a step by step fault finding guide for the flapper EFi available in the tech archive I believe. The fuel pump should run while you are cranking the engine over.

The flapper will not run the pump unless the engine is running or cranking i.e. the flap is being opened by the air flow. You can take of the pipe from the air filter at the air flow meter and move the flap with your finger. With ignition on you should hear the pump running particularly if you stick you head under the back end.

If he twisted the rotor arm he may have displaced the balance weights which will completely screw things but this would have been after the non-start so is not the answer as to why it would not start then but could be a reason for it never starting again.

Steve

You can take of the pipe from the air filter at the air flow meter and move the flap with your finger. With ignition on you should hear the pump running particularly if you stick you head under the back end.

And if you can poke your finger in the flap with your head under the back end there's something wrong with you :lol:

An 89 3.5 would be a flapper, the 3.9 came with hotwire in the RRC, unless it's been changed over of course !

Of course :rolleyes:

I was thinking there were 3.5 hotwires, but that was just in the Discovery, I think. Although if you had my old Range Rover you'd have a 3.5 hotwire, as the engine had been changed - can't discount much in the world of Land Rovers!

I had a similar problem with my 90 (it has a 3.5 Efi with auto). Seemed to turn over but not fire. Replaced the battery (I had a spare), but also disconnected the 9th injector as suggested and it started ok. Apparently the 9th injector can be a bit enthusiastic in colder weather, not really needed unless it's VERY cold. It started and ticked over fine, might be worth a try.