Low range

Rolly

Wondering if its ok to use the low range (with diff-lock NOT engaged) on long, steep hill descents (its a mountain really).

The manual says not to drive in low on a normal road but this is gravel and my brakes say yes please, give me a rest.

We only do this trip once a year to go snow-camping and the steep section lasts around 20/30 minutes.

What's the current wisdom?

Wondering if its ok to use the low range (with diff-lock NOT engaged) on long, steep hill descents (its a mountain really).

The manual says not to drive in low on a normal road but this is gravel and my brakes say yes please, give me a rest.

We only do this trip once a year to go snow-camping and the steep section lasts around 20/30 minutes.

What's the current wisdom?

i can't see a problem. low range is exactly that......low range so on a down slope there would be better engine braking.

yep use low

Do you mean you'd avoid using 4th/5th in low box? Because I can't see any reason to. If you need more grunt, stick it in low, that's what it's there for.

reason 4th low is not as fast as 1st high but is slower than 2nd high so a good compromise plus if you meant someone and had to stop and needed more engine braking or needed lower gears you already have 1 and 2nd available which are slower than 1st high (=3rd low)

I often use low-range when not on tarred surfaces. It gives you a greater choice of gear ratios for slow-speed use. I once did 400kms in low from Maun to Kasane, Botswana.

I don't think any manual says not to use low range on tar. It's the diff-lock you mustn't engage on tar.

I also find the gear change (R380) is quicker and more positive in low range. There must be a reason for that, gears going round faster, maybe?

No problem. And if it is on loose gravel you won't really hurt with the diff lock engaged either.

There is no reason not to use the high gears in low range, the only downside (often seen here when running fast in 4th/5th low range over boggy ground) is that the primary gearbox oil can get a bit hot and the gearchange goes a bit crunchy but it won't do any damage!