Classic auto box

max-ie

Hi, just in the middle of mounting the gear changer and centre console. I can't remember which way the high low lever goes, in normal high low operation it goes back and forewards with neutral in the middle position, is it like a defender and pushes left to engage diff lock high and low or is it fixed to just high low without pushing left.

It seems a daft question but bear with me, i've cut the lever off to relocate it so that the centre console fits and can't now move it to see for myself. If it moves right also then the gear selector cable is in the way at the moment.

It depends if it's an LT230 or Borg Warner box. LT230's will be the same as Defenders with LT230's, Borg Warner just has hi/low no lock.

Thanks for reply, how do i check which box it is, I took it out of a 1989 vogue and the knob has just high and low on it with no mention of sideways movement, the lever mechanism also looks like it doesn't move sideways but cant really tell without taking everything off that i've just spent the last day fixing on,, painfull.

Cheers

Max

Thanks for reply, how do i check which box it is, I took it out of a 1989 vogue and the knob has just high and low on it with no mention of sideways movement,

SNIP

From the age it is probably the BW box whch has a viscous coupling and so no sideways movement on the high low lever to engage a diff lock.

If you look under the transfer box, there should be a small plate with BW and a serial number.

Thanks for reply, how do i check which box it is, I took it out of a 1989 vogue and the knob has just high and low on it with no mention of sideways movement,

SNIP

From the age it is probably the BW box whch has a viscous coupling and so no sideways movement on the high low lever to engage a diff lock.

If you look under the transfer box, there should be a small plate with BW and a serial number.

Yep its a BW box, so as i understand it the diff lock works similar to the 4wd on a freelander.

The TB knob isn't necessarily a good guide. My old Range Rover had a Borg Warner, but it had the transfer knob for an LT230 (with the diff lock markings). It couldn't actually be moved to the left (the mechanism was correct), but when I tried to fit the correct knob I discovered that the lever was too big to screw into the BW knob...weird! As far as I could tell it had left the production line like that!

Looking tidy!

Are you planning on extending the gear shifter lever? It is going to be a long reach from the drivers seat as it is....

I hadn't really thought about that, my last auto was in a galaxy and i never touched it once it was in drive, i'll see what its like when i've finished. I've had to turn the gear shift knob round as it hit the fuse cover in park. this involved alot of faffing as i had to cut a groove in the shaft that has now got a circlip in it to stop the knob sliding down when fastened on.