steering wobbling

Hi,

I'm a new member reading the posts i find them very interesting but now, i could do with a little help myself. My steering wobbles all the time. When i purchased my Defender 90, the seller told me he loosened the steering off so his son could ride around the fields. He also told me how to adjust it back which i have done but it doesnt seem any different. The locking nut on the steering box loosened and turned the alan key clockwise. I have recently fitted a winch bumper which is quite heavy and also a winch. This is when the wobbling occurred all the time. I have done the tracking. checked the preload and all seems fine.

(NOTE: I am NO expert with defenders. This is my first ever one.)

Can anyone help me??

Thanks,

Defender Dinky

The problem you've got is that there are many things that could cause steering wobble.

I would check all the bushes on you land rover, including the ones on the back axle and both trailing arms and radius arms. If these are worn it can cause the axles to move and cause steering problems.

Check the universal joints on the steering column for play.

Check the drop arm on your steering box is attached properlly (ie. it doesnt move on the steering box output shaft).

Check all the ball joints in the steering linkage for play, if one of these is badly worn it could cause the steering to wobble.

Check you havent got a wheel bearing about to fail, to do this jack up the wheel, hold the wheel and try and 'shake' it, there should not be much play.

Hope thats some help and you find the problem.

Tom

The problem you've got is that there are many things that could cause steering wobble.

I would check all the bushes on you land rover, including the ones on the back axle and both trailing arms and radius arms. If these are worn it can cause the axles to move and cause steering problems.

Check the drop arm on your steering box is attached properlly (ie. it doesnt move on the steering box output shaft).

Check all the ball joints in the steering linkage for play, if one of these is badly worn it could cause the steering to wobble.

Check you havent got a wheel bearing about to fail, to do this jack up the wheel, hold the wheel and try and 'shake' it, there should not be much play.

Tom

hi tom given me alot to check there,:huh: going away thursday 10 days will have to do it all when i get back but thanks for information cheers wayne

Tom

hi tom, noticed today the arm which steering damper is connected to but on p/s ,ball joint castle nut tightened up that much that the split pin isn't doing anything could this be a problem cheers wayne

In my case it was a damaged CV joint. Before knowing that, I examined almost all the above, found that it could be anything and decided to leave it until it's getting worse. However eventually the CV joint broke and I had to replace it. After that I found that the wobbeling was gone.

However as it could be most of the above I think it would not be sensitive to replace the CV joint just due to suspicion. (As it makes sense to exchange the swivel seal, the swivel bearings and the wheel bearings in one go this is a 6 hour job per side)

hi tom, noticed today the arm which steering damper is connected to but on p/s ,ball joint castle nut tightened up that much that the split pin isn't doing anything could this be a problem cheers wayne

Hi wayne,

No that wont be the problem. The castle nut should be tightend up all the way, the only reason the split pin is there is incase the nut comes loose, if it does it can only go as low as the split pin which means the ball joint wont fall out and lead to a complete loss of steering, a saftey mechanism if you like.

As for the CV issue that has been raised; an easy (common) way of telling if the CV is on the way out is to turn your steering to full lock (first one way then the other) and roll the truck slowly forward (with your head out of the window if you dont have a willing helper to listen for you!), if the CV is on the way out you should be able to hear a 'clicking' sound (it will be quite prominant).

I would do all the checks I and anyone else suggest and see what you come up with. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Tom

Hi,

I'm a new member reading the posts i find them very interesting but now, i could do with a little help myself. My steering wobbles all the time. When i purchased my Defender 90, the seller told me he loosened the steering off so his son could ride around the fields. He also told me how to adjust it back which i have done but it doesnt seem any different. The locking nut on the steering box loosened and turned the alan key clockwise. I have recently fitted a winch bumper which is quite heavy and also a winch. This is when the wobbling occurred all the time. I have done the tracking. checked the preload and all seems fine.

(NOTE: I am NO expert with defenders. This is my first ever one.)

Can anyone help me??

Thanks,

Defender Dinky

The only other possibility I can think of would be Steering Damper &/or Damper Bushes, replacements cured mine although mine wasn't noticeable until I hit a bump above about 30MPH and got steadily worse at higher speeds.

Have a look to see if there is oil leaking from the big silver ball. If so it could easily be the railko bushes.

I just had to do mine for the same reason.

hi, checked silver balls very slight oil, cleaned it off turned steering 9 or 10 times no leaks will try again before i go away tomorrow cheers

hi all,wobbly steering problem, being under defender this morning and found 20mm play in front prop, when moving prop side to side 3 or 4mm play in uj's on front by diff, could hear something in diff hopefully just normal cogs, would this cause wobbly steering, going away 12.00 :P hope toget on a computer over there thanks for your help so far wayne