Light Bar

FOS1

I was looking around the LR 4X4 web site and i see loads of usefull tips and things to do with a disco. I was looking for any information from anyone who may have made their own light bar for the roof. Any photo's would be a help. I was going to get a new one but i now have a new mig and thought i would have a little play (with the mig that is)

<<<i made the one for the disco in my pic!!

a length of box section with a hole drilled through either end straight through the existing roof bars, a couple of bolts later and bobs your fathers brother!!

new one not got roof bars though:( bummer got to buy a proper one!

<<<i made the one for the disco in my pic!!

a length of box section with a hole drilled through either end straight through the existing roof bars, a couple of bolts later and bobs your fathers brother!!

new one not got roof bars though:( bummer got to buy a proper one!

Thanks for your reply Ste. I thought of that.....but am going to put a row of 8" (at least 6 if i can get them on) spots on it so with the existing roof bars been alloy will they be ok to take the weight? And i only put the roof bars on at weekend. They were easy enough, just a lot of messing around. Thanks mate

I made my own. Can you wait til tomorrow for pics? Its dark out.......

Bri

Thanks Bri.......i can wait....ive been looking on ebay and they range from 40 quid up to 70 quid. Am not paying that when i can make one. I have made one, some time ago, from an old roof rack, but it looked a right bugger. The ones that you can go to the shop and get look ok but wheres the fun in that? Would it be easer if you had my e mail address to send me the pics? Here it is anyway - fos1@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks mate

Right then, some pics below..........

Mine is round tube bent slightly to match the curve of the top of the windscreen with 5 tabs welded on. The angled/curved bits are solid bar heated and bent to shape then welded into the tube ends. The feet are box with a side cut out and 2 nuts weled on through which the clamping bolts pass. they are then tightened onto a strip of ally in the gutter - I did it this was as any mods I do I try to make it so I dont drill any holes in the body so I cut down the risk of leaks or rust and the mod is also totally reversible without leaving any ugly holes behind. It's prolly over-engineered, but I had access to a full metalworking shop at the time so just went nuts and used all the toys.........

The wiring will be (when I finally decide on what lights to use - big and round is as far as I've got!) routed up the conduit from the waterproof gland on the outer plastic scuttle panel in the 3rd pic. The snorkel had a habit of banging against the light bar in cross winds hence the pipe lagging - looks a bit stoneage, but does the job! ;)

Its been on a whle now and needs a re-paint or I'll prolly get it powder coated when I get round to stripping some bits off my motorbike that need doing. The mounting feet could do with a tidy up as well to round off the corners etc - I did a 'trial fit' and then got distracted and its been on ever since so I never got round to the final tidying bit - that'll get done before it gets a re-paint.

post-2722-1234869368_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1234869398_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1234869425_thumb.jpg

post-2722-1234870378_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your reply Ste. I thought of that.....but am going to put a row of 8" (at least 6 if i can get them on) spots on it so with the existing roof bars been alloy will they be ok to take the weight? And i only put the roof bars on at weekend. They were easy enough, just a lot of messing around. Thanks mate

the roof bars on mine were standard factory items and there is no sign of them falling off!! i used to pull my self out of the window with them when i was stuck deep in the sticky stuff.. i was going to mount 4 big spots on top of the 4 square ones but never got round to it!!