2a coil connections

leigh enfield

Hi, help. I have a 1964 2a 88 converted to alternator negative earth Landie. I'm having misfires only when warm/hot (2 miles+). Also problem restarting if hot. Thought it was fuel or a dozen other things however saw a post somewhere which suggested might be connections to coil are wrong way round so starts OK but then develops symptoms I am experiencing. Changed coil recently but it might well be I have got connections wrong. Where do my three wires go please?

a) LT lead from distributor? B) wire to switch c) old brown wire going back into the loom? Thanks for info on wire destinations.

Obviously the large (King) lead goes between the distributor cap centre terminal and the centre coil terminal.

Have a look at the terminal end of the coil - you will probably see one terminal marked + and the other -

As your vehicle is negative earth connect the - terminal to the lead going to the distributor contact breaker connection as this leads to earth - and the other to the positive supply from the ignition switch.

Obviously the large (King) lead goes between the distributor cap centre terminal and the centre coil terminal.

Have a look at the terminal end of the coil - you will probably see one terminal marked + and the other -

As your vehicle is negative earth connect the - terminal to the lead going to the distributor contact breaker connection as this leads to earth - and the other to the positive supply from the ignition switch.

Noted. I didn't do a very good job at explaining that I have 4 leads including the HT lead. The vehicle may have been positive but it now has an alternator and battery terminals looks normal so that makes it a good bet it is negative earth.

- The HT goes to the middle of the coil, that leaves three

- I've got a lead from the ignition side - does that go to the + or neg

- I've got a low tension thin lead coming out of the distributor - does that go to the + or neg

- and tricky one...I've got an old brown fabric one coming out of the loom - do I need that and if so where should it go?

AND what happens if I get it wrong?

I'm resisting temptation to find out!!!!

Many thanks for any help. Leigh