Warning: Freelander wheels are not interchangeable!

Fatboy

Hi all,

With all of this great weather we had recently, we decided to get a set of all terrain tyres for SWMBO's Freelander TD4 - Sport model with 18" wheels.

A mate confidently said that all Freelander wheels will fit and 16" rims are easier to get AT's for so I bought a set of 16" five spoke alloys second hand.

Went to fit them tonight and indeed, the bolt holes are in the same places, the profiles of the holes similar - Great :)

However, I got this feeling that they were not sitting properly on the hub because the wheel nuts did not seem to be getting "tight" and the outer edge of the rear brake drum looked hard against the inside of the wheel spokes - Took the rims off and noticed that the rear brake drums are "dished in" by 10mm whilst the alloys are only about 5mm "out" from their flange face at the point 5.5in out from centre where they would meet the outer edge of the drum.

That means that although the wheel seemed to fit, the rear face was 5mm off the hub face when I started to tighten the nuts and I was probably trying to deform the wheel to make the faces meet :blink:

I guess that a set of wheel spacers would solve the problem - just going to make this snow caper a bit expensive, especially as it is all melting rapid style :rolleyes:

Hi all,

With all of this great weather we had recently, we decided to get a set of all terrain tyres for SWMBO's Freelander TD4 - Sport model with 18" wheels.

A mate confidently said that all Freelander wheels will fit and 16" rims are easier to get AT's for so I bought a set of 16" five spoke alloys second hand.

Went to fit them tonight and indeed, the bolt holes are in the same places, the profiles of the holes similar - Great :)

However, I got this feeling that they were not sitting properly on the hub because the wheel nuts did not seem to be getting "tight" and the outer edge of the rear brake drum looked hard against the inside of the wheel spokes - Took the rims off and noticed that the rear brake drums are "dished in" by 10mm whilst the alloys are only about 5mm "out" from their flange face at the point 5.5in out from centre where they would meet the outer edge of the drum.

That means that although the wheel seemed to fit, the rear face was 5mm off the hub face when I started to tighten the nuts and I was probably trying to deform the wheel to make the faces meet :blink:

I guess that a set of wheel spacers would solve the problem - just going to make this snow caper a bit expensive, especially as it is all melting rapid style :rolleyes:

I know this is no help now but:-

The brakes were uprated (got larger discs & drums) for 2001 Model Year when the V6 and more powerful Td4 were introduced; and your right the designs changed for wheels. Newer wheels will fit the older car but not the other way round.

Mark

The brakes were uprated (got larger discs & drums) for 2001 Model Year when the V6 and more powerful Td4 were introduced; and your right the designs changed for wheels. Newer wheels will fit the older car but not the other way round.

I'd heard that rumour (newer wheels fit old) so it's good to have it confirmed but it's also worth pointing out that Freelander 2 wheels don't fit Freelander 1.

Could be interested in a set of rims if you need rid, what style are they? :P

Could be interested in a set of rims if you need rid, what style are they? :P

They are 16" LR alloys - the type with five spokes - kinda like the Disco Freestyle? However, I've just put a set of new Grabber AT2's on them so want to persevere and try spacers which should provide enough clearance to get away from the rear drums - I'd better double check the front discs though to make sure there is nothing fouling there as they fitted last night but I didn't get round to rotating them before I took them off. <_<

I've got some photos to add clarity on the description, I'll pop them on later.

The story took a nasty twist today....

The missus mentioned that there is a strange noise coming from the front left side under braking so I took the wheel off for a look and found:

CrackedDisc.jpg

A circumferential crack which goes 3/4 of the way round. I assume that when I fitted the wheel to the front, it caught the caliper and when I tightened the nuts, the pressure on the disc caused it to crack :o I popped one of the pre-01 wheels on and indeed, it snags on the caliper. Obviously, I suppose I would have spotted the problem on the front before I tried to drive off because the wheel would not have rotated.

So, a new disc is now required. (I am only going to replace one because they are nearly new and not worn).

While I am at it, I may as well post the other pictures:

RearDrumwithRecess.jpg

This shows the recess at the back drum.

AlloywithDrumMark.jpg

The piece of wood is the same width as a drum (11"). Note the marks on the back of the spokes where the drum contacted.

FrontDisc.jpg

Front disc & caliper.

I am confident that 25mm spacers will provide enough clearance to fit the old style wheels so am going to order four from Paddocks who seem to be the cheapest supplier.

• 2 weeks later...

There are three types of Freelander 1 wheel.

The originals fit the earlier models as described above.

Then the alloy wheels were made with little holes around the centre, and the number 12 embossed on one of the spokes. (The holes were for some mounting jig thingie, I'm told.)

The later ones still had the 12 embossed on a spoke but lacked the holes.

So if you have the later model, you will need one with "12" embossed. For the earliest you need the plain ones.

Cheers

Blippie

• 3 months later...

Although a few adverts list spacers to fit Freelanders, I didn't find one that actually made them, until now.

Rakeway Engineering have just completed a couple of sets of prototypes and hope to do a production run next week.

I've just come off the phone and placed an order B)

There are three types of Freelander 1 wheel.

The originals fit the earlier models as described above.

Then the alloy wheels were made with little holes around the centre, and the number 12 embossed on one of the spokes. (The holes were for some mounting jig thingie, I'm told.)

The later ones still had the 12 embossed on a spoke but lacked the holes.

So if you have the later model, you will need one with "12" embossed. For the earliest you need the plain ones.

Just reread my older post - they are not all "12"'s, the important thing is that it is an embossed number which the others don't have. No idea what the number signifies.

Cheers

Blippie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

... and now I'm beginning to doubt that the embossed numbers are significant when trying to determine early/late wheels. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

Blippie

I know this is an old post but Im pretty sure that the numbers embossed on the wheels refer to the locking nut code. Just an educated guess though, as when I was sifting through fleebay for some alloys I came across: locking wheel nut code 10 etc

• 7 years later...
On 7/22/2018 at 11:05 AM, daneside said:

i have just bought a 200 freelander td4  and the alloy wheels are flush to the rear drums?do they need spacers so thertes clearanve between the wheel and drum tia

As long as the central hub (where the wheel nuts go) is touching the drum face you're good - the wheel spokes do get very close to the raised outer part of the drum but there should be a rizla or two's clearance.

• 2 years later...