Portal Axles

al1991

Hello people,

Just wondering, I was going to build a monster Disco but have fallen under the spell of a LWB Series 3. However, I'm still drawn to massive tyres and just wondered if any of you on here have had any experience of Portals, i.e fitting them, running them, any problems ect. Are they worth the money?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Al. :)

I think portals can be made to work very well. I know of at least 5 forumers who are building/have built portalled vehicles (some using Volvo, some Mog and some doing other things). Basicly, if you want to do this properly the ammount of work involved is pretty big.

Whether its worth the money depends on what your doing with the vehicle. For anything other than a dedicated off roader, forget it. Otherwise its probably worth a go.

I think portals can be made to work very well. I know of at least 5 forumers who are building/have built portalled vehicles (some using Volvo, some Mog and some doing other things). Basicly, if you want to do this properly the ammount of work involved is pretty big.

Whether its worth the money depends on what your doing with the vehicle. For anything other than a dedicated off roader, forget it. Otherwise its probably worth a go.

Volvo C303 portals are the easiest to fit in a series Land Rover. the diff centres are on the correct side, and I think that one axle even has the spring pads in the right location.

Most/all unimog axles have the front diff centre on the wrong side, so you either need to cut and flip the centre and get a new axle made, or fit a completely different transfer case with the front output on the other side.

There are of course Maxi-drive portals that are bolt in, but very $$$$.

Hello people,

Just wondering, I was going to build a monster Disco but have fallen under the spell of a LWB Series 3. However, I'm still drawn to massive tyres and just wondered if any of you on here have had any experience of Portals, i.e fitting them, running them, any problems ect. Are they worth the money?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Al. :)

If you just want 'massive tyres' you don't need to fit portal axles - just get the strongest axle you can find...

The words 'worms', 'can' and 'of' spring to mind...

Check out the forum on Pirate4x4.com for more info than you can ever use. But read a bit before asking stuff...

Good luck. Al.

What a waste of time and effort! :wacko:

Portals give you a far better ground clearence without the need for 15 miles of scaffold tube to hold the body away from the chassis! I bet the articulation on that thing is as awful as it was when they started!

There was a good article on a lightweight running portals in TOR a while back, I will dig it out if you like.

Cheers

Mark

If you just want 'massive tyres' you don't need to fit portal axles - just get the strongest axle you can find...

The words 'worms', 'can' and 'of' spring to mind...

Check out the forum on Pirate4x4.com for more info than you can ever use. But read a bit before asking stuff...

Good luck. Al.

Good point. You just have to look at the Forest (Roadless) Rover to see the benefits of this approach. The Roadless has 50" diameter wheels with stock suspension, gearbox, t-case and engine. Just wider, stronger axles (with appropriate gearing), and body panel modification.

forestrover-1.jpg

http://www.landroveraddict.com/ubbthreads/...age=0&fpart=all

...For a "how to".

Even better with a 109. The springs outside the chassis are better positioning for the axles and the longer wheel base is better for CoG and fore-aft stability.

It is rather a bit of work, but value for money, the best mod to a Series that can be made in my book.

Articulation can be fab - I run paras and revolvers, the C303 axles are comparable in strength to Dana 60s / Salisburys, the clearance is amazing, and on a Series you will run out of power way before you run out of tyre size. In fact, be warned, with a standard 2.25, you won't be going anywhere in 4th gear in a 109 on much more than 34's

These are Q78/16 Super Swampers and near as dammit on 36"

54974308.DSC_3577.jpg

never mind my ar5e... :lol:

55834490.DSC_3651.jpg

56200491.sidebyside.jpg