Hybrid brakes

dees

Hi folks,

Need some advice with sorting the brakes on the 100" I'm building. Base vehicle is a Rangie, so calipers are standard Range Rover. I have a bulkhead from a 1993-ish Defender which has pedal box servo and master cylinder attached. Master cylinder is goosed, so new is required. 1st Question is, do I buy a Defender master cylinder and try and plumb the dual hose front calipers into it? If so, anyone got any bright ideas about how to do this without screwing up the system, and keeping VOSA or MOT inspectors happy? i.e. can T-pieces be used to plumb into the single outputs of the Defender cylinder (which seems kinda wrong on principle)? Or, can a Range Rover master cylinder be fitted to a Defender servo?

2nd question is what type of brake valve is best? Looking through various books there seems to be a whole series of different valves used on different vehicles, and I'm struggling to understand the difference. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dees

Can't see a problem with using a Defender master cylinder as that splits the brakes front/rear rather than RR way of front 2pistons & rear on one circuit & the other 2 front pistons on second circuit, either way you'll have twin circuit brakes, a T piece in the front calipers to work same as Defender calipers shouldn't cause any problems.

yup,

if you put the tee's in the right place it'll mean you can run a single flexible pipe to each front wheel.

Thanks for the replies. Dave, is that how you sorted your hybrid, 'cos from the build photos itlooks like you're using twin front hoses? Do you have defender master cylinder/servo or did you use the range rover set up?

I have to say, if I do use the defender master cylinder, I've not quite sorted it in my head how I'm going to do it!

Cheers

Dees