trigger wheel

plank22

im in the process of going to EDIS and was thinking about making a trigger wheel to go on to the flywheel as I was worried about using one on the crank from gettting damaged or muddy. Does any one else use the crank and if so any water mud problems? Its want to think about it as making a trigger wheel for the fly wheel will be alot of work!

The pulley mounted trigger seems to work for a lot of people so why do you think it will be vulnerable?

I have just fitted the Ford Transit pressed steel trigger wheel which wraps forward around the pulley. Once fitted you can fill all the gaps with mastic so mud cant build up in it.

Steve

Why are you worried about a spinning disc of ~6mm steel behind the crank pulley? Do you worry about the crank pulley getting dented or torn off? :huh:

Everyone I know is using a crank mounted trigger, and most people on the MSEFI forums are too unless their flywheel already has a trigger on it.

The pulley mounted trigger seems to work for a lot of people so why do you think it will be vulnerable?

I have just fitted the Ford Transit pressed steel trigger wheel which wraps forward around the pulley. Once fitted you can fill all the gaps with mastic so mud cant build up in it.

That's exactly the setup I ran on my Range Rover, except that I didn't have any mastic around it. I was also worried it would be vulnerable before fitting it, but in practice it's tough, very well tucked away and, as said, as long as your connection to the sensor tail is done properly (or you get a new plug and fit it directly to your wiring), completely waterproof. I never managed to cause mine any problems :)

Most people run like this (ignoring the text for the time being):

Trigger_wheel_setup.jpg

This is a photo of mine - no mastic, nothing special and it's never been a problem in mud, water, sand or anything else. It's one of those things with MS that people seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time worrying about when it just isn't an issue to start with.

You can see photo's of the transit trigger wheel steve_d is referring to here.

IMHO it's easier to put the transit trigger wheel on the other side of the harmonic balancer, held on by clamping it down with that thrower thing. I have this setup and (as mentioned earlier) have potted it with sicaflex because I was worried about stones getting jammed in it.

IMHO it's easier to put the transit trigger wheel on the other side of the harmonic balancer, held on by clamping it down with that thrower thing. I have this setup and (as mentioned earlier) have potted it with sicaflex because I was worried about stones getting jammed in it.

Possibly - I had to get the inside of the wheel taken out a bit to fit the way I mounted it, but it's very secure (just clamped in place) and well protected. I think any stones that get near it are just going to get thrown clear - it's normally spinning at at least a few hundred RPM!