KAM locking differentials???

Bobtail-Jay

Hi can any one give me some info on these lockers???

I have had KAM front and rear lockers on the nas for 10 or maybe 11 years. I like them because they are simple. They also supply uprated half shafts with the locker which other locker manufacturers do not supply. Mine are the older air operated type. The new design has an electric actuating device in the axle making for a much simplified design. Both designs use a sleeve to connect the two halfshafts in the axle together, simple and effective. On my system there is a magnetic sensor in the air cylinder which switches a lamp in the cab when the axle is locked and the lamp is extinguished when it's not locked. Simple. Bathtub has had issues with breaking Kam halfshafts, but he runs 44 inch boggers and has a right foot bigger than Sussex! I use mine on a more timid approach and have every confidence in their design and function :lol:

Hi Jay,

I don't have KAM lockers but have been to see them for other products and have found Kevin and Steve extremely helpful.

Some people have had problems with early halfshafts apparently but as NAS90 has said it may be down to the extreme (?) usage?

I would strongly suggest that you phone them.

Marc.

Hi, i have to be careful what advise i give on the forum due to rules of advertising/trade etc, but what i would say is there have been some issues in the past which we really are on top of now. our 4 pins have a very very good track record of strength and reliability and our Halfshafts have been greatly improved recently (as a result of some interesting feedback last year on the forum) and now have 5 years of warranty. we are about to release an updated version of our current locker which will not require specially splined shafts, so could be used with your standard shafts or an aftermarket manufacturer of your choice.

Our lockers do require that you cut off the front of the diff pan which some like and others dont. For the record it no longer comes with a polycarbonate cover with a sight glass but comes with an 8mm thick cast aluminium one which has proven very durable in challenge events including work on rocks etc.

Were not about hard sell here at KAM, But if you want any free advise or you have any quereis then give us a call etc etc.

We will be at Dunsfold open weekend, Eastnor LRW, Billing and LRO Peterborough this year aswell as our Military shows should you wish to come and see us.

Also we are taking the works truck on the Trophee cevenol on the 20th may to try out some new products we are currently developing and we will competing to win in the outback challenge Morocco later in the year.

Cheers, Steve

I have had KAM front and rear lockers on the nas for 10 or maybe 11 years. I like them because they are simple. They also supply uprated half shafts with the locker which other locker manufacturers do not supply. Mine are the older air operated type. The new design has an electric actuating device in the axle making for a much simplified design. Both designs use a sleeve to connect the two halfshafts in the axle together, simple and effective. On my system there is a magnetic sensor in the air cylinder which switches a lamp in the cab when the axle is locked and the lamp is extinguished when it's not locked. Simple. Bathtub has had issues with breaking Kam halfshafts, but he runs 44 inch boggers and has a right foot bigger than Sussex! I use mine on a more timid approach and have every confidence in their design and function :lol:

Hey 44s on any LR axle make me laugh :lol:

I used to twist the half shafts & knacker the sliding collar with 33 x 12.5 TSl & a TDI . Never had a problem with the diffs ,maybe the stress never got that far as the shafts lasted about 10 mins. :lol: This was probably 8 years ago though.

44s on a 24 spline LR shaft i think they would snap if you jacked the wheel up & span it :blink: They weigh 11 stone on a rim :o

All i can say is how often do you hear about ARBs not working ???? I'm having ARBs on my Hi-9 s with portal drop boxes & 450 Hp & 44 Boggers so time will tell ;)

My pennys worth is dont waste money on modifying a LR axle in the 1st place change it to a stronger axle to start & save hassle & money in the long run. How about Ashcrofts new axles ??? £6k ish a pair but if they last then it would be worth it. must be £3.5k with all the goodies in a LR axle anyway & they wont last.

Run anything bigger than 33s & 200hp on Ashcroft or Kam shafts & they still break at events .But if you are light footed & watch when you engage the locker then stay with LR axles .

Want them to work with 35" plus whenever & however you want then say bye bye to CVs & shafts.

Love you all bored now :P

anybody had any experience with the cable operated kam difflockers

We had one of there first cable difflocks and had nothing but trouble with it, as it been said before the poor shafts bent and then the sliding collar gets jammed - then the locker is jammed in or out.

We spent more time fixing it than driving it - but they say there shafts have improved .

The cable side of it was slow but worked - not very good for trials as you need your hands for other things rather than fighting to get the lever thing to go in. it's an okay idea for on the farm , etc

We only used for a year or so then decided to spend that bit more and buy the best ARB and Ashcroft