D3 - Buying Advice

Will C

I came across a 05 TDV6 S at the weekend with 40k miles and 7 leather seats. It cosmetically looks perfect and in these straightened times may be picked up for close to €20k. Anybody out there got buying advice - I'm replacing a P38 and am very familiar with these and classics but know SFA about the D3. What should I watch for? Whats the possibilty of DIY servicing (Do all my own on P38)??? :unsure: Thanks in anticipation of informed opinion :lol:

Don't know what prices are like over there but that seems quite expensive for an early D3 to me? :unsure:

You would be ok with DIY servicing as far as engine oil and filter is concerned but forget it when anything complicated goes wrong, without a poofty expensive computer to plug in you're pretty much f***ed as they are SO complicated.

I came across a 05 TDV6 S at the weekend with 40k miles and 7 leather seats. It cosmetically looks perfect and in these straightened times may be picked up for close to €20k. Anybody out there got buying advice - I'm replacing a P38 and am very familiar with these and classics but know SFA about the D3. What should I watch for? Whats the possibilty of DIY servicing (Do all my own on P38)??? :unsure: Thanks in anticipation of informed opinion :lol:

That's 20k euro - according to the Irish Revenue web site, the market value would be €22,850. We have a little item here called Vehicle registration Tax applied to all new and imported vehiles and it's around 30% of the book value. So by the time you buy one for £12k in the UK, ferry it across and part with the scheckles you're looking at €20k. Irish Vehicles have one big advanatage over our UK bretheren...we don't salt our roads. My 95 p38 looks like new underneath!

Thaks for the input all - keep it coming, I'm still lookin :P

I asked on disco3.co.uk and didn't get much of a response other than "look through the forums and you'll see what to look out for"

well, that meant every single thing that could go wrong would go wrong if you look in the "problems" section!

tbh I dont think there is a lot you can do other than the general checks of making sure there is no previous damage, no warning lights/alarms (not sure if it is all computerised for fault telling, so that you cant remove a warning lamp) and that everything electrical is working correctly - over and over again.

NONE of them should be rusty (yet), most are just out of warranty buy a year or two so most owners would get any issues sorted before they ran out. Ring a dealer and make sure the vehicle has had any recalls done, what warranty work has been done, what parts have been bought against the chassis number/reg etc.

drive a few, dont pick the first one you go to (you need something to compare against) and then dive in and buy!

My stepbrother was offered £7500.00 for his 54 plate D3 HSE with 80k on the clock, by the Stealer against a new one so that's hellish expensive to me !!

Lots of issues starting with the electrics now definitely need a computer to fix them, then there's the famed how do you change a turbo issue.......................

believe oit or not you have to take the body off :unsure::unsure::unsure: workshop time is 18 hours without the cost of the turbo.

Me I am staying with Classic RR and rust.

believe oit or not you have to take the body off :unsure::unsure::unsure: workshop time is 18 hours without the cost of the turbo.

I think I saw somewhere that said the "official" 70,000 mile service was a body lift off jobbie, But that it can just about be done with the body still in place. Can anyone confirm this? :blink: