How much are they worth

Grant.

Hi All,

I have a series 3 in good condition, no rust anywhere, chassis has not been patched, nor the bulkhead and is rock solid, and a few extras including overdrive, weber carb, nudge bar, spotlights etc etc,

I need to sell it however I don't know what it is worth.

Was on eBay until recently where it ended with no bids!! :(

The problem is I need it sold as I need the money and the space, however it is a reluctant sale and therefore I don't want to just give it away!!

Can any one give me any advice on what it is worth??

Thanks very much

Regards

Grant

Reading your description on there I'm afraid it hasnt got alot going for it. Its not tax exempt, it needs a gearbox rebuild, it doesnt run right and bear in mind that petrol series are thirsty beasts at the best of times!

That winch is only really useful for pulling skin off of a rice pudding.

Bearing in mind you can pick up an early 200tdi 90 now for between 1 and 2k, and a mate of mines asking £400 for a 300tdi discovery with 6 months tax and mot, I'd say you'd be very lucky indeed to get £1000 for it in the current market. A more realistic value would have to be around the 5-600 mark IMHO.

Jon

Further to what's been said, it is clear that has been messed about with. Those wheel arch extensions, same colour all over the body (including painted galv cappings) and modular wheels will put off a lot of the classic car people who will want a standard Series.

I think you've got a bit of a problem. If you want decent money from it you'll need to gear it towards the classic car people (i.e. not muddy off-road sorts) because otherwise you're up against people going for Discoveries and other super-cheap but also super-good motors.

Standardise it for the most part, maybe leave the A-bar on and rock sliders. Tidy the entire vehicle up, perhaps look to give it another coat of paint if you have the time and resources to do a half decent job (even with a brush as long as it's not go loads of brush marks or dribbles!).

I notice it is green in the cabin, maybe paint the body green and strip the cappings back to galv/paint them silver?

That should help a lot. A tidy but still mildly personalised (see A-bar, parabolics etc) Series always grabs my attention.

Standardise it for the most part, maybe leave the A-bar on and rock sliders. Tidy the entire vehicle up, perhaps look to give it another coat of paint if you have the time and resources to do a half decent job (even with a brush as long as it's not go loads of brush marks or dribbles!).

I notice it is green in the cabin, maybe paint the body green and strip the cappings back to galv/paint them silver?

That should help a lot. A tidy but still mildly personalised (see A-bar, parabolics etc) Series always grabs my attention.

Actually sold the rock sliders on here!!

I think your right, tidy it all up, however i might go down the route of Tdi' ing it, as the market is not brilliant at the moment and as I am sure all of you know wont be for quite a while, and I will never get my money back on all the work i have done, all the parts i have fitted, however I am going to go along the line of a full respray including replacing all the damaged panels.

I think the original colour used to be a sandy/beige colour, however im not sure, any way I can find out?

Would quite like to tidy the car up nicely and keep it however with a hundred inch hybrid on the build, an mg midget part restored and a defender td5 with a £650 repair bill i needed to find the money, and this one was the one to give!!

Again didn't want to sell it so it looks like it will be staying and the money will be coming from other places!

But thanks for the advice guys, im kind of happy i am keeping it, but kind of annoyed that it hasnt sold.....

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :) as in what to do improvement wise

Thanks

Regards

Grant

Pleased to see you decided what to do. :)

I think the original colour used to be a sandy/beige colour, however im not sure, any way I can find out?

Contact the Motor Heritage Centre in Gaydon, phone the archive up and they'll be able to tell you the basic specs and what dealership it was dispatched to based upon the chassis number.

But thanks for the advice guys, im kind of happy i am keeping it, but kind of annoyed that it hasnt sold.....

Any advice will be greatly appreciated :) as in what to do improvement wise

Grant,

You are being far too honest with your description.

The way it works with selling used cars is that you tell everybody about about the good bits and let them suss out what is wrong. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that you should be dishonest, a 27 year old vehicle will have lots of faults.

It is also a really bad idea to personalise the vehicle by saying you have called it Laura (or whatever).

A brief description and a few photo's (less is more) will get better results. Look at this one linked below:

-pictured in a semi rural setting

-no fancy font/colouring

-the wording is very simple and makes you think this is a honest genuine private seller (even the grammar and spelling errors help)

-he says don't worry if you cannot collect straightaway

link