powersteering powerd hydraulic winch!

Badger90

hi chaps..

i was just reading at this clicky about a hydraulic winches thats can be powerd by the power steering pump? look at stage 1 on the web site?

but on stage 2 the next system has its on own pump for the winch?

the first one surely that wont do the power steering pump anygood powering 2 things? i spose you cannot use steering and the winch at the same time.

but has anyone used or seen this system work? i rather interested for doing some logging and when i go green laning!

cheers sam

Hydraulic winches have a reputation for being slow, the system you describe is where it came from.

Chris

hi chaps..

i was just reading at this clicky about a hydraulic winches thats can be powerd by the power steering pump? look at stage 1 on the web site?

but on stage 2 the next system has its on own pump for the winch?

the first one surely that wont do the power steering pump anygood powering 2 things? i spose you cannot use steering and the winch at the same time.

but has anyone used or seen this system work? i rather interested for doing some logging and when i go green laning!

cheers sam

The link doesn't work for me but assuming from the rude comments above :P that it is a Milemarker I have one with the ZF74 pump and it might be slow but it will shift a house. Whether I would buy one again, I'm not quite certain with the price of something like the TDS winch being a fraction of what my MM cost me and the fact I don't actually use it that often. I hate the expression "cost benefit analysis" but its probably relevant. I wouldn't bother with the PAS version because believe me you won't want something slower than the ZF74 type.

For self recovery, there are pros and cons, for other jobs like moving big stuff slowly and carefully, you can't beat the MM (recovering a yacht on a trailer that fell partly off the side of a slipway for example, which was something I did a few months ago, and nice slow constant line speed was just what was needed at the time).

What I do like about it is that I can ignore it for months and then it always works when I want it, which isn't something you can say about certain winches that have a W on them which usually seem to have seized up freespools etc!

The Milemarker hydraulic winch was originally designed to run from Yank power steering pumps which generally give a much higher flow rate than the small ones we seem to encounter. In standard form they are slow but pull very hard... (in 'fettled' form they are fast and pull very hard!!!) If you are looking at that route then you need to at least have a dedicated pump to run it to move at anything faster than a snails pace- does not have to be a ZF74 pump but not many other pumps seem to provide as high a flow rate. Do a search as the MM pumps issue has come up lots of times on the forum.

If you are looking at a cheap, used occasionally winch then my money is on a 9.5 TDS from Goodwinch- MM are not cheap (£999+ Vat for a standard ZF74 set up...)

I use a pump from a Chevy truck to power my MM. Does exactly what can be expected. Not fast with no load, but the speed remains the same regardless of load. If too much, it just stops, something that never has happened to me.

Leccy winches might be fast with no load, but very slow when they have to pull hard. Talking standard winches now, not upspeeded and modified ones.

Have a look at John Sales hydraulic competition winch,

which is lightening fast, supremely reliable, will pull America closer (if you've a rope long enough),

cheap enough, has a proper freespool, and is completly built in Britain, yes Britain, chain driven pump gives loads of fluid.