TD5 Turbo Boost

orange rover

Td5 alive / Jeremy J Fearn both offer a turbo boost box for the td5. seems to be some electronic box withj a couple of cable sticking out. anyone knows what exactly it does?

any good?

cheers

spec

Makes the ECU think that the turbo is making less boost than it actually is. Usually, if it sees too much boost, the ECU shuts fuelling down till the boost comes back within limits. This box of tricks allows you to rum much higher than standard boost. Only to be fiddled with if you know what you are doing - or enjoy replacing heads/gaskets/pistons! You would also be looking for a larger intercooler and modified fuel map.

Chris

.... and exhaust manifold.

Higher boost WILL crack the bloody things. They crack for fun anyway. Put a remap on the engine and its guaranteed, put a remap and higher boost - it'll be a once a month job.

would like to tune the td5 but not over the top. the thing i'm really looking for is mor torque from lower down not so much top end hp.

seems like the turbo boost box is not the thing i'm looking for - didn't intend to play with boost pressure.

have you thought about getting an ECU remap, you can get a few different types of remap depending on what you want, my dad has one on his 03 discovery and he doesent like to drive a standard td5 now it throws you right back into the seat upon acceleration and can get up steep hills sometimes in 4th (even without a big runup), he says they have f*** all power, then again if you want low end torque, then i think that 200tdi's are slightly better if tweaked ;)

mikey

have you thought about getting an ECU remap, you can get a few different types of remap depending on what you want, my dad has one on his 03 discovery and he doesent like to drive a standard td5 now it throws you right back into the seat upon acceleration and can get up steep hills sometimes in 4th (even without a big runup), he says they have f*** all power, then again if you want low end torque, then i think that 200tdi's are slightly better if tweaked ;)

mikey

i'm looking for a remap - just wondering what that turbo boost thingy was

200 tdi - i wasn't looking for the torque quite that low end <_<

i'm looking for a remap - just wondering what that turbo boost thingy was

200 tdi - i wasn't looking for the torque quite that low end <_<

lol im not sure how much its gona set you back, probably quite a bit but its definately worth it. when i first had a go in my dads, you could hear me shouting POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 5 miles away :lol:

mikey

.... and exhaust manifold.

Higher boost WILL crack the bloody things. They crack for fun anyway. Put a remap on the engine and its guaranteed, put a remap and higher boost - it'll be a once a month job.

I disagree...

Out of all the Td5's I've tuned running normal stage 1 or stage 2 remaps, I have not had one yet that has warped or damaged the exhaust manifold. I've found 3 that have had warped manifolds running standard mapping. However, in each case I have skimmed or replaced the manifold, and not had issues even when running a remap.

Even some of more wild stage 3 onwards tunes do not have a problem....

It all comes down to what tuners believe 'safe' EGT temps are, and what they do with fuelling.

Ian

I am sure I read recently (maybe in one of the mags) that the problem is caused by prolonged heavy usage followed by rapid cool down rather than increased pressures or tuning but that some modification can prevent the problem entirely although I don't know what they changes are.

Some kind of heat sink may help?

• 2 weeks later...
Td5 alive / Jeremy J Fearn both offer a turbo boost box for the td5. seems to be some electronic box withj a couple of cable sticking out. anyone knows what exactly it does?

any good?

cheers

spec

I have a Jeremy fearn ecu and intercooler upgrade on my diso 2, its a 2001, and the kit has been on since 2003, it runs as sweet as a nut, but most of the power increase comes in the mid range, I am just about to replace the centre box with a straight pipe, which hopfuly will let the turbo spool quicker for a bit more out of the blocks power, can anyone confirm that?

I have a Jeremy fearn ecu and intercooler upgrade on my diso 2, its a 2001, and the kit has been on since 2003, it runs as sweet as a nut, but most of the power increase comes in the mid range, I am just about to replace the centre box with a straight pipe, which hopfuly will let the turbo spool quicker for a bit more out of the blocks power, can anyone confirm that?

Removing the centre box definitely improves matters - not a vast improvement , but noticeable.

Dave

Hi The Above Image is of my Manifold when it was machined at OEC.

It did the trick immediately and havnt had a problem since. Before it blew two gaskets at warped the face something terrible. OEC added a new manifold and machined the webs as shown.

The truck has an intercooler by Alisport, ITG Filter and Mine was one of the first to have the plug in box added several years ago when Andy First started doing them for TD5s

Problem with tuning is that you soon get used to the extra power / torque and the truck soon feels flat again even when its pushing almost 200bhp! :)