OT Hydraulic quick release hoses

Night Train

Sorry for being off topic but not sure what I need or where to start searching.

I've never done anything with hydraulics other then self contained manually pumped jacks and engine cranes. I have just obtained a small hydraulic trailer loading crane (like a mini Hiab) with an electric hydraulic pump.

What I want to be able to do is to mount the pump inside my car boot and have the crane on the trailer. I want the hose from the crane, and future tipping ram, to be able to plug into the pump in the car via some sort of quick release coupling that seals both ends from fluid leaks. I would prefer not to mount the pump on the trailer with an electrical connection as I may decide to use the hydraulic supply on more then one trailer.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Also, how do I work out what size and type of plumbing are used to make sure I get the correct threaded parts and hose size?

Thank you,

NT

NT , Give these guys a ring ,BMI 08451 305191, They are in Manchester , They are a new nationwide Hydraulics company ,We use them here in Bristol and they are far cheaper and more knowledgeable than Pirtek ,who we avoid using as for reasons already mentioned .

The quick release fittngs for the applications you describe would be either 3/8 or 1/2" BSP , But witout any pics I cant realy say ,

Most companies will have a choice of quality , Holmbury fittings being the daddies .

Sorry for being off topic but not sure what I need or where to start searching.

I've never done anything with hydraulics other then self contained manually pumped jacks and engine cranes. I have just obtained a small hydraulic trailer loading crane (like a mini Hiab) with an electric hydraulic pump.

What I want to be able to do is to mount the pump inside my car boot and have the crane on the trailer. I want the hose from the crane, and future tipping ram, to be able to plug into the pump in the car via some sort of quick release coupling that seals both ends from fluid leaks. I would prefer not to mount the pump on the trailer with an electrical connection as I may decide to use the hydraulic supply on more then one trailer.

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Also, how do I work out what size and type of plumbing are used to make sure I get the correct threaded parts and hose size?

Thank you,

NT

What about your local agricultural supplier/dealer? I know that we use this type of fixture on the back of our tractors in work to operate various bits of kit.

Thanks Ciderman, I will sort out what I think I want to achieve and give them a ring.

ive never had a prob with pirtek other than price but go for the flat face couplings more expensive but a lot better quality and dont leak hold dirt as the female is a flat face we use these on all of our excavators .chris

Well this is the little crane that I now have:

Crane03.jpg

Crane05.jpg

It isn't much and I think the capacity is probably only 250kg though the seller thought maybe 500kg, either way it suits my needs.

The control is a simple power button to pump up and a solenoid to release pressure. It runs well and doesn't seem to leak or lose pressure under a load.

It also came with a little 3300lbs winch which will also live in the back of the car I think, no need for a 9000lbs jobbie on an estate car! :D

I want to keep the cost of the plumbing as low as reasonable but the flat face connectors do seem to be the way to go I think.

How would I bleed the air out of this sort of system when I rebuild it? Would I need to?

Thank you.