My New series 3 deisel

Ex-fronteraman

Hello everybody!

I bought a 1974 series 3 88" 2 1/4 deisel last week and just got it started yesterday (first time running since april aparently).

There are a few issues though, first it doesnt stop when you remove the key so would this be stop solenoid on pump? Or is there a button etc that stops the engine?

And it took ages to start so suspect glow plugs (am buying a set of deiselglow parallel ones).

Loads of blue smoke on start up but dissapeared after 2 minutes, and its leaking deisel on the injector nearest bulkhead (where there are two nuts and a threaded bit-will tighten nuts and see what happens!).

Cheers,

Tom

is there a button etc that stops the engine?

there should be a stop cable located some where on the dash turn engine off then pull it.

And it took ages to start so suspect glow plugs

How much preheat did you give it?

I normaly have to use about 8 seconds on mine.

Is between the speedo and the other dials? I thought that knob was to reset the trip milage thingy but havent tried it whilst running because the alternator isnt charging the battery and it has gone flat...

How do i preheat the glowplugs? Cant find any button etc but there is a hole (top right of dash between dials and switches) but none of the lights work so might a fuse have blown i've heard each fuse is connected to more than one circuit.

Another thing is that when you put your foot on the accelerator it doesnt come back up! Is there suposed to be a spring or something??

Cheers,

Tom

The stop control is probably next to the steering lock/ignition key. It often needs a good pull and should stick out, being released when the key is turned. Make sure it goes right in to ensure that the control on the pump is in the 'Go' position before starting the engine.

The old style (original) glowplugs are wired in series - so one out - all out. They earth at the front end of the engine - so if you disconnect this wire and you check for current - you've checked all. If there's nothing there - check each one - or replace the lot as if one's gone the rest will probably follow - as they were probably made at the same time to the same design from the same materials and have operated for the same length of time.

There should be a small orange light in the bottom of the speedo - which will glow feebly when the plugs are operated. Plenty of heat seems to help starting.

Hello everybody!

I bought a 1974 series 3 88" 2 1/4 deisel last week and just got it started yesterday (first time running since april aparently).

There are a few issues though, first it doesnt stop when you remove the key so would this be stop solenoid on pump? Or is there a button etc that stops the engine?

And it took ages to start so suspect glow plugs (am buying a set of deiselglow parallel ones).

Loads of blue smoke on start up but dissapeared after 2 minutes, and its leaking deisel on the injector nearest bulkhead (where there are two nuts and a threaded bit-will tighten nuts and see what happens!).

Cheers,

Tom

Tom, On the Series 3 vehicles, to operate the glow plugs, you have to turn the key part way between run and start and hold it there. If the glow plugs have been changed out for parrallel replacements, then the light on the dash will barely glow, as I found out on my series 3 diesel.

The "stop" cable on the column has a symbol on it resembling a choke cable of a gas version. On mine, pull it out and the engine dies, turn the key to start, and the cable snaps in due to spring pressure.

If you have air in the injector lines (which you may since you have a diesel leak) you will also get the grey smoke and a miss. Definitely want to have that fixed first...

Ray

Cheers everybody,

Ah i though it was a choke! So no wonder it wouldnt start if i was pulling it out lol.

Yea when your hold the key the cold start light does come on, and so does the oil pressure light but this goes out when it starts.

The charge light is on constantly (alternator not working?)

It only smokes at high revs but has only run once since last january so this might have something to do with it!

Another thing is that when you put your foot on the accelerator it doesnt come back up! Is there supposed to be a spring or something??

Cheers everybody,

Tom

Cheers everybody,

Ah i though it was a choke! So no wonder it wouldnt start if i was pulling it out lol.

Yea when your hold the key the cold start light does come on, and so does the oil pressure light but this goes out when it starts.

The charge light is on constantly (alternator not working?)

It only smokes at high revs but has only run once since last january so this might have something to do with it!

Another thing is that when you put your foot on the accelerator it doesnt come back up! Is there supposed to be a spring or something??

Cheers everybody,

Tom

If the charge light is on, then you are most likely not charging... Use a multimeter between the battery posts with the vehicle running to verify. Should be between 13 and 14.5 volts DC.

Check your accellerator rods to make sure that none are rusty and sticking. There is a spring at the injection pump, on the same lever that the throttle cable attaches. Make sure the spring is still there...